Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Revolver cal question >

Revolver cal question

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Revolver cal question

Old 12-29-2009, 11:54 PM
Spike

The .45 is a fine choice. If you need a heavier load, just order some Buffalo Bore.

I have a .357 Mag Ruger GP100, and wouldn't hestiate to use a .44 Mag. My woods gun however is a .41Rem Mag Blackhawk and where I live I need a bit more power than the .357. If you aren't worried about Grizzlies or Moose, anything you mentioned will do fine. But the .45 with the right load will be as good as the .41 Mag or .44 Mag. so you can't go wrong with it.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:45 AM
Typical Buck

Just my 2 cents . By the 45 . Way out west here with a little shopping loads can be found from 185 jhp and lrn to the 300 grn Cor-Bon swc . Even the 255 cowboy loads produce nearly the energy of the 357 mag 158 gr pick a flavor bullets and make a bigger hole going in . Shooting cost the down side of the 45 Colts Wal-Mart cowboys are $35 a box while the Cor-Bons are $40ish . I hand load too even now 38scost me just $6 per box 357s less than 7 my 45 colts runs me about $9 I'd guess . I cast range scrap from jacketed bullets in a Lee 255grn rnfp they drop at 262-265 drive them at around 950fps in my 7 1/2 inch black hawk . They hit about 5 inches hi at 25 just a little hi at 50 . I shoot it year around and have hunted mulies the last 2 years with it as a side arm intending to use it for the sub75 yd standing in the road death wish deer . 1 more thing about the 45 colts revolvers tend to shoot light bullets low and heavy bullets hi . Mine shoots 200 rn about a foot under the 260 rnfp at just 25 yds at about the same 950 fps .
Old 12-30-2009, 10:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

a dog pack? not coyotes? wolves?

they wanted to eat you?

tell the dogs to get the hell out of the way, get! get outta here!
Old 01-01-2010, 05:02 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
If it's a .45 Long Colt then there are loadings that will be fine for deer, but this cartridge is also popular with the Cowboy Action shooters and some loadings aren't very powerful...

I would guess that the 3-4 most popular revolver cartridges for deer hunting are the .44 Mag, the .41 Remington Mag, the .45 Long Colt and the .357 Mag...

Finally...My Glock 23 in .40 S&W is just as accurate as my Ruger Blackhawk in .357 Mag...For dispatching dogs, both work but the Glock holds more ammo but isn't legal here in NC for deer...
Your Glock 23 is legal for deer in NC. Any handgun larger than
.24 cal in any barrel lenth is legal for deer.
The old handgun law changed a couple of years ago