Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Getting a gun >

Getting a gun

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Getting a gun

Old 12-18-2009, 07:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

If it was me, I'd pony up the extra couple hundred bucks to get a Remington 11-87 Semi-Auto rather than an 870.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:39 AM
Spike

You might consider visiting Cabela's in Owatona and Bass Pro Shop in Gurnee (Gurnee Mills) and having a look-see at what your options are in both new and used guns. I know when I was looking last summer I did not find much differience in price between new and used. I would also take seriously the idea of a shotgun with differient choke tubes for the sake of versatility. Biy what you think will fit your neds and fit you - what feels best.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by OregonHunter5
870 express and mossberg are old technology.
It's a pump gun. Wtf would make them "new technology?" For me, I'll opt 870, or even 500 over the Nova. Though Winchester ranks top on my list for pump guns.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

In this economy everyone is selling guns,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,buy both cheap and get better ones when you can afford it.
Old 12-18-2009, 03:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

12ga for both shooting cheap and hunting i guess thats three. A mossberg 500 at walmart will cost you 200 bucks. A nef can be had for 100 bucks or so. Or go with a ruger 10/22 you can have one for around 200 bucks. No clays with the 22 though. Unless your just that good.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:41 PM
Fork Horn

Easy on the language Big Z.. I misspoke, I was meaning the Beneli seems to be lighter weight then most pumps. I took my Browning BPS to S. Dakota for Pheasants, and it jams after a shot every 7-8 shots. So a nice guy in our group tosed me his Nova. That gun is simple, light weight, and reliable.
Old 12-19-2009, 12:21 AM
Spike

Ive been looking at every gun suggested here. Its weird to see so many die hard fans of so many different guns.

All the 870 people love them, its the most popular shotgun around. Looks like one that I should check out. Same with the Benelli Nova, the Mossberg, the winchester, and all the other suggestions.

I think the browning bps is out because of the price, not sure if I want a used gun because some people sell them because they dont quite fire right. Ive seen guys suggest to buy 5 used guns see which shoot the best and return the rest! That was through google searches. Im a poor college kid I could and cannot afford that.

Im basically looking for one that will end up being the most versatile, and it looks like its pointing towards the 870. My girlfriends dad suggested a Benelli. I liked how it shot, but I know that it was a higher end gun.

Also, illinois is shotgun only. If I have a gun without a rifled barrel, am i correct in that I would purchase rifled slugs? Can anyone explain that real quick.
Old 12-19-2009, 05:27 AM
Fork Horn

Have you done much shooting before?
If not, the .22 is the learning platform. Minimal noise, minimal recoil, minimal cost. All shooting principles can be learned on a .22. You can go out by yourself to practice with it, as opposed to a 12 gauge which you will need someone to throw the birds or activate the thrower. It is legal in most localities (even here in New York State) to purchase a rifle or shotgun used from an individual. There would be your best deal. Stick with known names in a bolt, or single shot for learning safety. Marlin makes very good and inexpensive guns, there are a zillion out there, and you should be able to get one used for around 100.00.
A shotgun combination (buck and bird barrel) makes great sense if you are in with a shotgunning crowd, with access to a skeet/trap field, or even a place to throw your own birds. just blasting at cans, paper etc. gets old real quick though, and darn little in marksmanship will ever be developed without a purpose. For target shooting, 12 gauge slugs will prove very pricey and painful.