Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Leupold VX-I vs VX-II >

Leupold VX-I vs VX-II

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Leupold VX-I vs VX-II

Old 12-15-2009, 09:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BarnesX.308
I've shot Vari X-II scopes all my life on several different rifles. I loved them all. Nice clear picture, durable, decent light-gathering and accurate. I have an old one on a 30-06 that has never moved from POI in decades

I've shot rifles with Zeiss and Swarovski. While they're nice, they're not nice enough over the VX-II to justify the price.

I shot my share of the bargain Tasco, Bushnell, etc... and they are crapola.

Get the VX-II and never look back.
Prob is the VX2 is not the VX-II of old. Secondly go price one of them...for the money you can do better. Again not a leupy basher but dollar for dollar they aint where its at anymore.

Decades ago they were the scope to get but many companies have caught up in quality but not in price.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:01 AM
bigcountry

VariX II???? Goodness, I hate friction adjustments. I have two. I still use me. But goodness do I hate friction adjustments.

Old 12-15-2009, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, my newest Leupold is probably 10-15 years old so maybe they've changed?
Old 12-15-2009, 12:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Been pretty much a Leupy man all my life... I own a BUNCH of VXII's. Own a couple MX-8's also, along with a couple straight 12X.

But I bought a new Bushnell 4200 Elite last spring, and I gotta tell you I am impressed. The clarity is great, and the adjustments are positive clicks on semi-tactical type turrets. It tracks well also. The Leupys undoubtedly were the go-to glass in the past, but have a LOT of stiff competition out there today. Not saying you should pass a VX II up if you get a really good deal on it, though.....Just be aware....
Old 12-15-2009, 12:36 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by Pawildman
Been pretty much a Leupy man all my life... I own a BUNCH of VXII's. Own a couple MX-8's also, along with a couple straight 12X.

But I bought a new Bushnell 4200 Elite last spring, and I gotta tell you I am impressed. The clarity is great, and the adjustments are positive clicks on semi-tactical type turrets. It tracks well also. The Leupys undoubtedly were the go-to glass in the past, but have a LOT of stiff competition out there today. Not saying you should pass a VX II up if you get a really good deal on it, though.....Just be aware....
I agree 4200's are nice. I have a few. Not much erector travel.

Also like monarchs. Also like conquests.

I used to complain about the new construction of the VXII's. Almost swore never to buy another leupold. But I dropped a sluggun from 23ft. I had it hanging on a hook and somehow I busted a piece on the sling and it just fell. Landed so hard it opened up the chamber on a browning gold. I just knew I was going to climb down and find my scope with glass falling out of the recticle gone. But it was fine. Even the stock was fine. I know if it was wood, it would have cracked it.

I took that gun to the range next day. Fired 3 rounds and it was dead on at 100 yards. Still haven't adjusted it after 2 years and it was dead on this year. I was going to send it back but hey, it works.

Old 12-15-2009, 12:57 PM
Spike

If you had to choose between the vx-II and the 4200, which one would you choose?
Old 12-15-2009, 01:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by titansben15
If you had to choose between the vx-II and the 4200, which one would you choose?

I'm not gonna hedge on you here, but I am going to explain my answer. The 4200 I bought is primarily for target/varmint work and currently resides on my .243 AI. Therefore, it has not seen any hard hunting situation usage. It is a 6X24 Variable AO with FCH and 1/4 Mil dot. Basically a benchrest and field rest scope. Not a lot like the 3X9 VX II's on most of my other hunting rifles. Therefore, I find it a little hard to equally compare the two because of their unlike usage.....particularly considering the fact that the 4200 is mostly shot at 20X and in decent weather and light conditions. Not always the case with the Leupys. I guess to be fair, I'd have to give the Bushnell the same conditions as the Leupy to make a really informed decision on that. As I stated in my previous post, I really was impressed with the 4200 vs. the VX II under the conditions of benchrest, and for what it's worth and to try to give you the answer you asked for, I would buy another 4200 in a heartbeat for a hunting scope with a different crosshair configuration and hope I got the same reliability and service my old Leupys have given......

Last edited by Pawildman; 12-15-2009 at 02:06 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:08 PM
Spike

I'm not gonna hedge on you here, but I am going to explain my answer. The 4200 I bought is primarily for target/varmint work and currently resides on my .243 AI. Therefore, it has not seen any hard hunting situation usage. It is a 6X24 Variable AO with FCH and 1/4 Mil dot. Basically a benchrest and field rest scope. Not a lot like the 3X9 VX II's on most of my other hunting rifles. Therefore, I find it a little hard to equally compare the two because of their unlike usage.....particularly considering the fact that the 4200 is mostly shot at 20X and in decent weather and light conditions. Not always the case with the Leupys. I guess to be fair, I'd have to give the Bushnell the same conditions as the Leupy to make a really informed decision on that. As I stated in my previous post, I really was impressed with the 4200 vs. the VX II under the conditions of benchrest, and for what it's worth and to try to give you the answer you asked for, I would buy another 4200 in a heartbeat for a hunting scope with a different crosshair configuration and hope I got the same reliability and service my old Leupys have given......
Ok thanks. I'll try to find a store where i can look through them both but im starting to lean toward the 4200