Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Pros and cons of the 30-06 round >

Pros and cons of the 30-06 round

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Pros and cons of the 30-06 round

Old 12-18-2009, 01:29 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by bullsakuntt
"Pro": EVERY clueless idiot banties it...though unknowingly

Con: It is easily trumped,in all avenues
This clueless idiot really wants to know... what does banties mean?

???
Old 12-18-2009, 09:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pros:
1. Virtually every model of long action rifle offered by anyone will include the 30-06. Meaning you will have a very wide range of rifles to choose from.

2. Probably the most common large game cartridge out there in America. Meaning it is offered in a ton of different factory loadings for you to choose from. And every store has it. From the smallest mom and pop to wal-mart.

3. Loaded with a 150 or 165 grain bullet it's deadly on deer sized game and shoots flat enough to make shots well past the range that the average hunter has any business attempting.

4. Loaded with a good 165 grain bullet or virtually any 180 grain bullet it will kill elk or moose as dead as any whiz bang magnum out there. Would I want a bigger cartridge if I were trying to stop a Kodiak Brown bear charge? Sure but that's not likely be an issue in Alabama or for most other hunters either. It will kill a Brown bear however. It just isn't what I'd choose to stop a charge. Course what I'd choose in that situation would be a bazooka or a flame thrower. But that's just me. I'm funny that way. LOL!

Cons:

1. Maybe juuuust a tad more gun than is necessary if all you plan to shoot is deer at fairly close range. But that is really splitting hairs.

2. In a nation gripped by a magnumitis fire that is being fanned by the gun/hunting magazines you probably won't get to read too many sexy and exciting articles about the 30-06 in the gun rags. It's been around too long and too many people already have one for their advertising masters to let them waste magazine space touting it's virtues.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:46 PM
Fork Horn

Default There are no cons!

The 30-06 won 2 world wars and the Korean conflict. If we'd stayed with it we would have won vietnam!

So go shoot a 130 lb. deer, you'll be fine