Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
A cure to Savage Mark II extraction problems >

A cure to Savage Mark II extraction problems

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

A cure to Savage Mark II extraction problems

Old 12-06-2009, 03:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default A cure to Savage Mark II extraction problems

Well, I know I'm not the only one who's had problems with their Mark II not pulling brass outta the chamber after firing. So here's what worked for me... First thing's first, clean the gunk outta the extractor slots at the face of the chamber. Then, it's off to work on the bolt.

There's a black band (C-spring) that wraps 'round the top of the bolt. Just use a little screwdriver to pop it off and then the extractors and the firing plate will come out. You'll notice how gunky it can get in there. Clean the parts, and the bolt itself with solvent, hot soapy water, er whatever. Dry everything off and give it a light oiling. Before putting it back together, squeeze that c-spring to tighten it up. Now, just put the firing plate in and snap the c-spring on top. Push the extractors in (one at a time) from the bolt-face pushing rearward and make sure it's all snapped together.

This is a very common problem with the MarkII so I wanted to share a fix.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:00 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Big Z
Well, I know I'm not the only one who's had problems with their Mark II not pulling brass outta the chamber after firing. So here's what worked for me... First thing's first, clean the gunk outta the extractor slots at the face of the chamber. Then, it's off to work on the bolt.

There's a black band (C-spring) that wraps 'round the top of the bolt. Just use a little screwdriver to pop it off and then the extractors and the firing plate will come out. You'll notice how gunky it can get in there. Clean the parts, and the bolt itself with solvent, hot soapy water, er whatever. Dry everything off and give it a light oiling. Before putting it back together, squeeze that c-spring to tighten it up. Now, just put the firing plate in and snap the c-spring on top. Push the extractors in (one at a time) from the bolt-face pushing rearward and make sure it's all snapped together.

This is a very common problem with the MarkII so I wanted to share a fix.
I would like to add a couple of comments. The extractor/ejectors are made of "cheap stamped metal" that is very rough and rust if any form of moister get on them. Take some emery cloth and sand both sides of these slightly so they work freely in the slots. Them cold blue the parts and lastly spray with some silicone (or like ) after they are dry and re install. And alway keep is area as clean and dry as possible. A high pressure air compressor will usually keep them clear, between complete teardown cleaning.
My 2 cents
Old 12-07-2009, 07:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Stick-- I would not bow myself down to someone so inexperienced as you
Old 12-07-2009, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Only someone as sadly burdened with stupidity as you would have a rough time understanding the above picture with 4 parts removed...it's okay, stickman...you're good for squeezin that chainsaw throttle. Maybe stick with that bahahahaha oh I'm just pullin your leg kiddo.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Tell that to my Rossi with a simmons scope! Ahahahaha oh man, Big Stick, I used to not like you, but now I think you're pretty funny! Rumor has it you aren't actually 10ft tall, and are actually a nice feller
Old 12-07-2009, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey big stick, since you're around, I got a question. I was reckonin on giving the 100gr Barnes a whirl in my 25-06 (sorry, no ackley!), cooking along some RL22...any thoughts on a charge? Let it kiss?
Old 12-07-2009, 08:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Do you moly those?
Old 12-07-2009, 08:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Any brand preference on moly?
Old 12-07-2009, 08:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

The KG brand stuff?
Old 12-07-2009, 08:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good deal...did a search on midway, couldn't find any Midway moly, looks like Lyman will hafta do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.