Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Savage Whitetail/varmit >

Savage Whitetail/varmit

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Savage Whitetail/varmit

Old 12-05-2009, 07:26 PM
Spike

Default Savage Whitetail/varmit

I saw a Savage whitetail/varmit in a 7mm08 online somewhere and it caught my interest. I wanted to go and see it at the gun shop. They do not carry savage guns. They said they didn't carry them because they were not a good firearm. Has anyone shot or shoot savage guns? Give me your opinion on the maker and on this rifle if you have shot them.

Thanks
Old 12-05-2009, 07:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

That "dealer" is full of crap. Now you know where not to shop for guns in the future.

I own two Savage rifles, a 10ML-II muzzleloader and a Model 111 .30-06. Both have the Accu-trigger, and both are good quality firearms, and are very accurate. The Accu-trigger is among the best factory triggers offered today, and Savage has been and continues to be a leader in firearms innovation today (Accu-Trigger, the new Accu-stock, smokeless muzzleloading, etc...). Now, the Savage rifles aren't considered by some to be the nicest looking rifles, but they are built well and get the job done nicely.

Now go find a dealer who has a clue and buy the rifle you want there.

Mike
Old 12-05-2009, 09:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Savage has sold millions of firearms and have a reputation of being one of the most accurate right "out of the box".

Driftrider is right..............don't bother going back to speak to that guy !!!
Old 12-05-2009, 10:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Not too long ago talked to a dealer, he said they've done a 180 recently, ie the last few years vs. years and years ago? said the accutrigger turned them around or kept them from going under.

I only hear good things lately, as in good shooting for a good price.

Perhaps he meant they won't compete with a $3k custom?
Old 12-06-2009, 06:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ain't nothin' wrong with my Savage. Shoots pretty darn good, free floated bbl, adj trigger, you get the idea.
Old 12-06-2009, 01:31 PM
Spike

Well satisfied with my Savage model 11 .243 with Simsons 3x9 package from Wal-mart. Have shot 3/4in groups and six deer all at about 150 yards. All where "bang flops" no tracking.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Savage model 110 and its variants are old standards. They have a reputation of being very accurate, owing to some of the ways they're manufactured. That gun dealer doesn't know what he's talking about.

For the record, the Savage 110 (It's now sold as the Stevens 200) made Field and Stream's list of 50 greatest guns. That should say something. Savage sells the same gun in fancier versions with its accutrigger (highly regarded) under model numbers like 111, 112, 114, etc. It's the longest manufactured rifle in America right now, debuting in 1959.

Type in Savage 110 and do some reading. Also Stevens 200. It's all very informative.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:04 PM
Fork Horn

I carry a SAVAGE 10 GPX in 7mm-08 now, I was carring rem bdl in 270. Love the little rifle.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I own 5 savage's. Some with accutrigger, some without. Hand down the most accurate rifles I own. My 300 Ultra is shooting ~1.1" groups at 300 yards! I have recommended them to many of my friends, with the promise if they dont like them I would buy it from them. None have taken me up on it.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:33 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by mossy33oak
I own 5 savage's. Some with accutrigger, some without. Hand down the most accurate rifles I own. My 300 Ultra is shooting ~1.1" groups at 300 yards! I have recommended them to many of my friends, with the promise if they dont like them I would buy it from them. None have taken me up on it.
That's because none of us want to buy a left handed gun!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.