Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Custom Barrel Question >

Custom Barrel Question

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Custom Barrel Question

Old 12-05-2009, 06:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Custom Barrel Question

Looking at the link for the Lilja barrels got me thinking. What could I expect from a custom barrel, such as the Lilja? I have a Remington 700 in 270 Win....it shoots 1.25" groups with Federal ammo. I'm sure with handloads I could go under 1". This is purely a hunting rifle and the first shot is always on. To me this is most important in a hunting rifle. What can I expect to gain by going the custom route and what can I expect to pay(barrel and smith)?

Last edited by VAhuntr; 12-05-2009 at 06:12 AM.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

The barrel is only as good as the smith that puts it all together...expect to pay around $500-700 for a barrel, action truing and chambering...
Old 12-05-2009, 10:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

JK has about the right price, depends on the smith and barrel. Shipping, probably a month or more in wait-time. Unless you want to go all-out, I'd just stick with what you got. Sounds like your gun is perfectly fine for hunting.
Old 12-05-2009, 02:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by VAhuntr
Looking at the link for the Lilja barrels got me thinking. What could I expect from a custom barrel, such as the Lilja? I have a Remington 700 in 270 Win....it shoots 1.25" groups with Federal ammo. I'm sure with handloads I could go under 1". This is purely a hunting rifle and the first shot is always on. To me this is most important in a hunting rifle. What can I expect to gain by going the custom route and what can I expect to pay(barrel and smith)?

If your factory rifle is shooting about 1.25" @ 100 now, I'd really recommend going to handloading if you want to spark it up some. Having a custom barrel installed and shooting factory ammo in it is like letting your grandmother drive your Maserati. Sure, she may do it, but she's not going to push it to it's potential. Handloading for your existing rifle, I feel, is your first step to increased performance. Custom barrel work is another step on down the road......JMHO....
Old 12-05-2009, 07:11 PM
bigcountry

500-600 seems to be the going rate around here. I love his barrels. But I had gunsmith screw up the throat on one barrel. Pick someone trusted and reputable for the barreling.

Old 12-05-2009, 07:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigcountry
500-600 seems to be the going rate around here. I love his barrels. But I had gunsmith screw up the throat on one barrel. Pick someone trusted and reputable for the barreling.
Did the gunsmith in question fix/pay for his mistake? This is why I'm leery about taking a gun to a 'smith for custom work since I really don't know any gunsmiths locally. You never know if you're dealing with a competent craftsman, or a shade tree hack. A Lilja barrel is an expensive tube to screw up on.

Mike