Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
remington 700 >

remington 700

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

remington 700

Old 12-07-2009, 01:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by driftrider
I must have lucked out then, because my Remington shoots great (except with Retumbo... it really dislikes Retumbo, but I think that it's just too slow). I don't have any complaints with the fit or finish either. Maybe it's because it's a Limited Edition small production run rifle, but I'm completely satisfied with it.

Mike

yea but what do you consider shooting great?? even with the barrel to receiver mating surface not being true a rifle can still possibly shoot 1" to 2" at 100 yards. some guys are happy with that and apparently remington considers that acceptable.... but look at your brass are your cases expanded evenly around the web or is there a slight buldge to one side? a slight buldge to one side is a major indicator the barrel to receiver mating is not true. and thats what both my barreled actions were doing. IMO this is unacceptable for what I paid for them. A rifle that I have been real impressed by are the Howas the quality of their barreled actions is second to none asfar as commercially produced rifles go. the barrel to action is perfect out of the box. maybe remington can learn something from them.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:04 AM
Fork Horn

removed by RD

Last edited by Ron Duval; 01-18-2010 at 09:16 AM.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by HighDesertWolf
yea but what do you consider shooting great?? even with the barrel to receiver mating surface not being true a rifle can still possibly shoot 1" to 2" at 100 yards. some guys are happy with that and apparently remington considers that acceptable.... but look at your brass are your cases expanded evenly around the web or is there a slight buldge to one side? a slight buldge to one side is a major indicator the barrel to receiver mating is not true. and thats what both my barreled actions were doing. IMO this is unacceptable for what I paid for them. A rifle that I have been real impressed by are the Howas the quality of their barreled actions is second to none asfar as commercially produced rifles go. the barrel to action is perfect out of the box. maybe remington can learn something from them.
My brass comes out fine. I have 4 reloads on some of the brass now, which is good for a Weatherby cartridge. As for accuracy, is this good enough?

That the best load so far, I just can't find some more IMR 7828 locally.

Or how about this:

This was a ladder test I did for s**ts and giggles because I had some unspoken for RL-19 on the shelf. It's a little on the fast side for 115 grain bullets in the 257 Roy, but the results weren't too bad. I wish I had my chronograph working because I'd like to see what velocitys this load was getting. The second target was my "notes target" to keep track of the shots to figure out where the sweet spot is.

I do plan on Devcon bedding the stock and floating the barrel in the very near future. The only modification to this rifle thus far is that I adjusted the trigger down to 1.5 pounds.

To be honest, I did have one small problem with the rifle out of the box. The extractor had a burr or rough edge that caused it to sometimes not easily slide over the rim when chambering a round. It would leave marks on the back of the rims from the contact. A little bit of fine grit sandpaper followed by some polishing compound fixed this problem. It was a tiny defect and easily corrected. Is is indicative of a poor quality product? Not necessarily. It's just on tiny part and required a 5 minute modification to fix. I like my Remington.

Mike
Old 12-07-2009, 07:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I reckon I'm another lucky one. I own 3 700's in 25-06, 30-06, and 7mmRM. All of mine shoot fantastic. Both calibers you speak of are great rounds. My 7mag recoil is about like my 06, very little difference. However my 300wm has much more recoil to it, but its a ruger, to me rugers seem to kick more, not really sure why. I wouldnt hesitate to buy another model 700.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:52 AM
Typical Buck

Bought a Rem SPS Varmint 308 Win last year for $360 out the door. This thing came right out of the box shooting. Have put 100's of rounds down the tube and it easily maintains under moa out to 600yds.

First 12 rounds fired from it. Shot's 1,2 and 3 were to get a 100 yd zero.
These are the shot's 4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,and 12.

Three different loads/bullet weights too........

Fast forward to last Friday when we were getting snow flurries at 36 degrees and was shooting the same rifle at 200 yards, well lasered it at 203yds.Working up a 168gr/Varget load.I have since cut the 26" factory barrel to 20 inches and recrowned. Used rear bag and Harris bipod.

45grs varget

46grs varget

46.3grs varget
Old 12-07-2009, 11:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not here to bash Rems and doubleA they are some nice groups but.....I call BS on "easily maintain sub MOA groups at 600 yards" Just to many varibles there to agree with that statement.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Duckbutter48
Not here to bash Rems and doubleA they are some nice groups but.....I call BS on "easily maintain sub MOA groups at 600 yards" Just to many varibles there to agree with that statement.
Why do you think that this isn't possible? You do realize that 1 MOA is a roughly 6.25" group at 600 yards, right? This is more than doable as long as the shooter is good at doping for wind, has a parallax free scope (adjustable objective/side focus), and mirage isn't too bad.

And what is there about his statement to agree or disagree with? If he's shot it at 600 yards, and been able to maintain sub-MOA groups at 600 yards, then he's stating a fact, not an opinion, which means there is nothing do disagree with... unless you're calling him a liar.

Mike

Last edited by driftrider; 12-07-2009 at 11:35 AM.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:51 AM
Fork Horn

For what its worth, the old school 700's I've shot have been money. I grew up on a .270 and later on, moved to a 7mm. the 'Hammer' brought them down, put the lead on the crosshairs and was just an all around great gun. So nice, in fact, that my house got broken into and it was stolen last September....They also got my 740 with my grandpa's initials on a brass plate on the forestock.

I don't know, I have an affinity for older guns and since my father usually cycles through his aresenal frequently, I get whatever he's not enamored with any longer. Right now, in lieu of buying a new rifle to replace the stolen one or outfitting the .308 I got for Christmas last year, I'm shooting a .30-06 Mauser action/FN barrel. Makes a pretty group on the range but nothing worth shooting has seen fit to hang around my stand in daylight hours.

I might go custom next season with some slick optics or I might just be cheap and stick with what I've got.

As far as the Remington 700's go, the older ones shot just fine but then again, there's a big difference with differing circumstances and applications. If you're sitting in a stand watching a feeder 100 yards away with a rock solid rest, your needs are a little different than lining up a bull elk across a valley to be sure.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:40 PM
Typical Buck

duckbutter, no offense taken.

Let me say this, I'll admit not being an excellent marksman but would say better than the average guy. Having a 600 yard range right from my reloading room does help. I shoot 2-3 times a week and switch back and forth between a few 308's and know each one of them pretty well. I do try to shoot in good conditions but that isnt always availible.

Those 203yd groups above were fired in not so ideal conditions 12/4/09. Snow fluries, 36 degrees, and 3-5 mph full value L-R winds in South Texas are not the norm.

The next day,Dec 5th, the temp was 27 degrees(again not the norm) no wind and clear skies and I dialed up 15.25 moa for 600 yds. Fired a couple groups prone with a bipod and rear bag. Not my best nor my worst but acceptable.

Old 12-07-2009, 07:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Precision
My bonestock Ti 7-08 will reliably hang well shy of 1MOA at the 700yd line,with a multitude of fodder.

Few have even the faintest clue,on how to consistently connect those dots.
Believe that one and he'll tell you another.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.