Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Has your rifle ever failed? >

Has your rifle ever failed?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Has your rifle ever failed?

Old 12-04-2009, 03:01 PM
Fork Horn

Try a 30-06 case seperation on a huge ten point, squeesed off a round, sounded funny, didnt think to much about it at the time, autoloader, buc stood there, went to squeese off second round, nothing happened, buc just standing there. Slowly I pulled the bolt back to chamber another round, bolt went part way and stopped, tried a little presure, wouldnt budge, looked at it and found part of the case was still in the chamber, big time jammed. I had to watch one of those once in a lifetime bucs feed for about ten minutes and slowly walk off!. That happens when you try to get too much use out of your brass.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Big Z
870s jammed on me more than once. Ripped the rims off 2 shotshells. Honed my chambers, never had it happen again.
Yes I've had a 870 jam several times while hunting. I have missed several deer due to that gun not properly functioning. It's why I do not at all like the 870 Super Magnum Expresses any more. Or even the Express models really. That gun just left a bad taste in my mouth for 870's.

Other than that I don't think I've ever had a jam while hunting if I have it wasn't one that mattered much as I don't remember it. I did once have my 30-06 fail to go off but that was 100% my fault. It was a Browning BAR and I tried to slowly let the bolt go forward to not make much noise. When I pulled the trigger it just clicked. Turned out that while the bolt part was closed the part that slides forward from the bolt wasn't as I hadn't let it go forward hard enough like you need to and I hadn't manually pushed on the little hand lever thing on it to make sure it was all the way forward.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

htm-
Give me 5 minutes with a drill, a bore brush, steel wool, and Rem oil. My 870 expresses are wonderfully reliable now.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:13 PM
Typical Buck

Been lucky I guess. I've never had any issues with a firearm in the field or on the range.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:27 PM
Banned

htm-
Give me 5 minutes with a drill, a bore brush, steel wool, and Rem oil. My 870 expresses are wonderfully reliable now.

5 minutes?

Isn't it a shame that Remington won't take the time? I've read about it a ton on shotgun forum.

I'll tell on my father-in-law. We we're sighting in one day and I stepped away to clean my muzzle loader. He start shooting his 30-06, and I thought

"Man, that sounds wierd"

You know what comes next. I look at the cases.....

270 sounds pretty nasty in an '06. Not to mention it was a 1959 Model 70 featherweight.

Woof.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

'Tis a shame. I've heard of the problem many times, and it's so easy to correct.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

htm-
Yeah I had a gun smith polish the chamber on mine and it seemed to help quite a bit. Had a jam or two after that but they were no where near as often and understandable as most things will jam or hang up every once in a while. However, I was still never really thought that much of the gun after all those problems I had previously had. I'm not convinced the chamber fixed it fully but it did seem to help some. I just think in the future I can buy a nicer gun for the same price or not much more. The quality just didn't seem to be there to me and the problems I had left me just not liking it that much.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by vabyrd

5 minutes?

Isn't it a shame that Remington won't take the time? I've read about it a ton on shotgun forum.
Kind of how I feel about it. It's not a huge deal but you should not at all have to do any work to a gun out of the box. Especially a $350 one. I realize it's supposed to be a cheaper gun but for a Remington shotgun $350 is not that cheap. I realize it's not super high like some guns but it's not like it's a $50 Jennings or anything either.

Seems like Remington really has a lack of quality control now adays. That coupled with the fact they seem to put their name on some guns like the 770 that just aren't that great just makes them not look like that great of a company anymore.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by hometheaterman
Kind of how I feel about it. It's not a huge deal but you should not at all have to do any work to a gun out of the box. Especially a $350 one. I realize it's supposed to be a cheaper gun but for a Remington shotgun $350 is not that cheap. I realize it's not super high like some guns but it's not like it's a $50 Jennings or anything either.

Seems like Remington really has a lack of quality control now adays. That coupled with the fact they seem to put their name on some guns like the 770 that just aren't that great just makes them not look like that great of a company anymore.
Problem is they still call it an 870. I shot clays with a fella who had a 20 870 he bought in the early 80's. I asked him if it came from the custom shop. He said "What?...I bought this at a hardware store"

Prettiest piece of barred walnut ever, fore-end too. That's what sickens me the most about Remington. I've got a late 70's 700 BBL that is awesome. Cant touch it today with that stuff off the rack. I'd still be loyal is they did..
Old 12-04-2009, 05:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

va,

Love my 25-06, 700ADL, very attractive and accurate rifle. My dad got it back in the 70s, under an inch is a walk in the park for that gun.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.