Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
270 semi auto >

270 semi auto

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

270 semi auto

Old 11-21-2009, 03:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Question 270 semi auto

My huntin buddy has a used Remington 7400 in 270 Win,with a Leupold Rifleman 3x9x40 on it for $500,i told him id buy it.The guns in excellent condition,except a couple scratches on the stock,its had about 2 boxes of shells through it,he bought it about 2 years ago,it shoots really good 1''to 1 1/2'' at 100 yards,is this a good deal on this gun?
Old 11-21-2009, 03:59 PM
DKA
Spike

You have already bought it now, hope that it is a good deal.
Old 11-21-2009, 04:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Aint bought it yet,i was wondering if this was a good deal BEFORE i bought it.thanks
Old 11-21-2009, 05:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

I wouldn't give $50 for a Remington 7400 and less for a 742 and 740.

They have all earned the nick name jam-a-matic.
Old 11-22-2009, 04:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think im gonna back out on that deal,i can buy a NEW Savage 30-06 with a scope for $397 at wally world.i changed my mind on the 7 mag,and the savage fits me better than the remington so NEW savage 30-06 it is.thanks for the help yall.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I guess it depends on what you really want. If you want a Semi Auto that 7400 or the Browning BAR are pretty much your two choices for a hunting rifle. I like semi auto's over bolt actions. However, if you don't care and just want a rifle there are many cheaper options.

That scope I wouldn't really care for but it would probably work fine and be better than the package scopes on the Savage rifles.

The gun however, I'm not so sure about. They aren't known for being very accurate. I got to handle a friends 7400 and I kind of was unimpressed with the mechanical parts of it however, something about the stock design just made me want one as it just looked beautiful to me. I'm just not sure I could bring myself to buy one though.

For $500 that seems maybe a little high but then again it does have a probably $200 Leupold scope on it that most don't. I've seen them cheaper than that but they always have some crappy or Tasco or Simmons scope on them.

As for the combo deals at Wally World if it fits you better it may be the gun to get. As you said it's new, fits you better, and is cheaper. I'd rather have a 30-06 myself over a 7mag also but that's just me. The only thing is while the scope may be fine for now on the Savage you may eventually have to replace it with something better. A friend has one of the Savages in .243 and loves it.