Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Best product to clean your rifle? >

Best product to clean your rifle?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Best product to clean your rifle?

Old 11-10-2009, 07:04 AM
Spike

Default Best product to clean your rifle?

Currently i use rem oil and hoppes #9 solvent to keep my guns rust free. Is it nessacary to use both or will one or the other do the job itself...?
Old 11-10-2009, 07:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

One's a solvent and the other is a lubricant. Hoppes #9 is a good solvent with some preservative qualities; Rem oil is a lube, any lube will have some solvent qualities. I use either Hoppes #9 or Kano Kroil as a solvent. When it comes to protecting my guns I only use "Tetra Gun Oil". Some people think that it's a little expensive, but it works and a couple of extra dollars is worth it when it protects an expensive gun. An 8 ounce bottle cost me $8 right from the company, in the store a 1 ounce bottle will cost you $4.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:04 AM
Spike

Is it bad to wipe rem oil on my gun (not in the barrel?)
Old 11-10-2009, 08:46 AM
Fork Horn

I too use Hoppes #9 and Rem Oil. I wipe the whole gun down after it's been cleaned with the Rem Oil wipes, or I'll take a little Rem Oil and spray onto a rag and put a light coat on.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Snipe4Food
Is it bad to wipe rem oil on my gun (not in the barrel?)
Not at all, any petroleum based product will do an ok job of cleaning, lubing, and preserving. A little story though about the Tetragun oil. You apply it by wiping it on, then wiping off any excess. A friend of mine has to take some sort of medicine that turns his skin oil into an instant rusting compound. I've seen him touch a gun that was wet with Rem oil, and rusty fingerprints appeared within two days. He switched to Tetra gun oil and he no longer has rusting problems.

http://www.tetraproducts.com/default_wf.asp

http://www.tetraproducts.com/product_view.asp?ID=2

http://www.tetraproducts.com/product_view.asp?ID=1

The grease is also a great product, it works best when wiped off after being applied. I use it in my ruger 10/22's action, and it doesn't attract debris or gun powder residue that'll gum up the action. It also works great inside the action of rifles used in freezing weather, no frozen firing pins when youu pull the trigger.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use Eau de #9 for carbon fouling, Shooter's Choice or Montana Extreme for copper removal and I use synthetic oil for preservation. I find that the synthetics attract less dust and a little goes a long way.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use Hoppes #9 mixed with alcohol for my muzzleloader and either straight Hoppes #9 or Hoppes Bench Rest Copper Cleaner for all my other guns. Then I finish them off with Break-Free CLP. Never had any corrosion issues.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:34 AM
Spike

i've been using hoppes #9 for at least 30 years. it works well. as far as oil, rem oil is fine, as are any number of other oils (even 3&1 oil you get at wmt).
Old 11-10-2009, 05:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hoppes is alright for powder, lead fouling but too weak for copper you should use a dedicated copper solvent as well Cr10, Sweets, wipe out, etc). I don't use rem oil but it is fine for inside and outside. Just remember to run a dry patch down your bore before firing to ensure no excess pressure results from oil in the bore. Yes the bore should be oiled for storage!
Old 11-10-2009, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by skeeter 7MM
Hoppes is alright for powder, lead fouling but too weak for copper you should use a dedicated copper solvent as well Cr10, Sweets, wipe out, etc). I don't use rem oil but it is fine for inside and outside. Just remember to run a dry patch down your bore before firing to ensure no excess pressure results from oil in the bore. Yes the bore should be oiled for storage!
I've also seen a guy at the range who's bore was so wet with oil and shot without at least running a patch or two down the bore first. after about three shots I notice him mumbling and all upset about the barrel of his gun, hydraulic denting ruined his barrel on a Weatherby MK V, the bad part is that it was 4" back from the muzzle so either he had to have the barrel replaced or he ended up with a carbine 270Weatherby Mag.