Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
H&R Smooth-Bore... >

H&R Smooth-Bore...

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

H&R Smooth-Bore...

Old 11-10-2009, 12:10 AM
Spike

Default H&R Smooth-Bore...

I just purchased a smooth-bore 12ga H&R slug gun. I've sold everything else capable of firing a slug that I owned and now shotgun season is just around the corner. I was pretty much in desperation mode and this thing was well within my budget.

I am just curious as to how much of a drop in accuracy should I expect. I know the H&R rifled slug guns are tack-drivers, but I'm curious as to whether or not the smooth-bore will be worth sticking a scope on or not. I've never used anything but rifled barrels and hear a lot of complaints about smooth-bore. Anyone out there ever had one of these things?

Peace,
Chad
Old 11-10-2009, 04:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not familiar with your exact gun, but many smoothbore slug guns with rifled sights are easily capable of taking deer at 75-100 yds. Try a few brands of rifled slugs or hybrid slugs like some of the Brennekes or Remington Buckhammers to find the best one for your gun.

If you get good groups at 50-75 yds with open sights, and your gun allows a scope to be mounted to the barrel, it may be worthwhile to add a scope.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:35 AM
Fork Horn

Ive never had any experience with your exact gun, but my first deer was taken with an 870 smoothbore vent rib barrel. I shot Brenneke rifled slugs, and it shot very well out to about 100 yards. I mounted a scope on it and both my father and I have killed a few deer with it.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Tons of guys have had single shot smooth bore guns that they shot slugs out of during deer seasons for years and years. Not a thing in the world new about that scenario!

The largest "weak-link" is the sights. Maybe a notch in the back and a BB up front. But guys have killed plenty of deer with the same setups.

Effective range (consistently and reliably hitting the target) varies. 50 or maybe even 75 yards may not be out of the question.

Personally I'd try some basic Foster-style (pumpkin ball) slugs from Brenneke, Winchester and Federal. See what seems to shoot best for you.

And I have to say it but DO NOT USE REMINGTON SLUGS. I have just seen too many failure to fires with Remington and it seems their brass is cupped causing the primer to be too far away from the firing pin. From here on out I trash Remington. It has been an ongoing problem for WAY TOO LONG.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:27 PM
Typical Buck

Tons of guys have had single shot smooth bore guns that they shot slugs out of during deer seasons for years and years. Not a thing in the world new about that scenario!

The largest "weak-link" is the sights. Maybe a notch in the back and a BB up front. But guys have killed plenty of deer with the same setups.

Effective range (consistently and reliably hitting the target) varies. 50 or maybe even 75 yards may not be out of the question.

Personally I'd try some basic Foster-style (pumpkin ball) slugs from Brenneke, Winchester and Federal. See what seems to shoot best for you.

To add to this commit;
I have and still install scope bases, mounts and scopes on many single shot shotguns, especially H&R's. Most will shoot very well out to the 100yd range with a scope and pumpkin ball slugs. If you need help with this give me an e-mail and we can discuss. [email protected]
Old 11-10-2009, 12:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

And I kinda didn't really understand what was meant by wAnnA-B by "smooth-bore 12ga H&R slug gun" I was just assuming it was referencing a Topper or Pardner.
Old 11-11-2009, 03:43 PM
Typical Buck

I think I may have a similar gun and scoped is probably the way to go. I use Brenneke's in all of my smooth bore guns for deer. You can get decent groups out to 75 maybe 100 yards. Thats what I recommend if that is gun you are bound and determined to use.
FYI - If its the same model that I have then make sure where a thick coat when sighting in because that thing will kick the ever living crap out of you.
Old 11-11-2009, 03:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

try some federal tru balls. i think youll like them.!
Old 11-11-2009, 09:26 PM
Spike

The gun is an older Tracker I, I believe, I'll have to look at it again to be sure :P . It does have rifle sights and the short fore end. For $109 bucks in near mint condition I just couldn't pass it up.

I was looking for a combo (Moss 500, 835 or Rem 870), but no one had any and this thing was cheap enough I figured I would pick up a rifled barrel for it if it's not accurate enough for my liking. I'm a fair enough shot that iron sights, at 50 yards or less, would keep me happy if the gun is capable of decent groups. I would like to pop a scope on it and stretch it to 80 or 100 yards if it's possible. I just didn't have a clue what kind of accuracy it's capable of. I don't know anyone with tight groups on smooth bores at that kind of distance (80+ yards). Most of the smooth bore guns my buddies use are on Rem 870s or Mossbergs. None of them fair that well past 45 yards or so... Then again, most of my buddies don't shoot that well in general .

Thanks for the informative responses!

Peace,
Chad
Old 11-12-2009, 03:24 PM
Fork Horn

Default Accuracy

I had one years ago. Watched my son shoot shoot a six inch five shot group at 100 yards. That particular gun had adjustable sights on it. H&R called it the slug version.
BTW - the son, now 40, still has it.
Pete