Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
help /w a scope? >

help /w a scope?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

help /w a scope?

Old 10-29-2009, 04:12 PM
Fork Horn

Angry help /w a scope?

I've got an older 500a and got my first deer with it last yr.This yr i put a scope on it, but it keeps moveing on my with every shot!!!What do i need to do?
Old 10-29-2009, 04:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Are you talking about the ol' Mossberg? You slug hunting?

Anyway, I don't have experience shooting scopes on shotguns, so I'll leave that to someone who does. I could say some obvious things, but I won't. LOL! Good luck getting it taken care of.

iSnipe
Old 10-29-2009, 04:47 PM
Fork Horn

yes slug.....i never thought that i would or could sit still long enough to deer hunt!till last yr.i got a 10pt 203lb at 65yrds with iron sights...just thought a scope might be better?
Old 10-29-2009, 04:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

Cheap scope?
Old 10-29-2009, 05:09 PM
Spike

I'm from Iowa and have shotgun hunted since I was 12, 25 now never missed a year. Three years ago I bought a rifled slug barrel and 7 boxes of Winchester partition gold slugs @ 18$ for a box. I was about crying after box 4 sighting them in. I thought I had it pretty good and missed a very nice 10pt. buck the first morning. 2nd morning I put my bird barrel on shooting cheap pumpkins, had a doe lay down 75 yds in front of me and dropped her in one shot. 2 years ago I tried a red dot, and high dollar sabots, I dropped a running buck and doe within 20 ft. of each other, no tracking needed and I liked it, I was actually impressed with it. The scope had no magnification. So last year I bought the mount and put a 3-7 power scope on it. I sighted it in high at 100 yds, and 10 in. low at 200 yds. I had a doe come in the first morning, I shot her with a hornady sst, not a lot of blood. I did find her 200 yds away. Anyway, I wasn't too impressed on the blood trail. My dad also put down his Ithaca and got a brand new scoped 870, the scope was a 250 dollar Nikon 3-9 scope. It was a really really nice set up. He had it sighted in good, shot a doe in the same finger I did, actually we both shot out of my ground blind cause it was pretty cold. We watched her run to the next field and the neighbors got her, it was pretty close shooting in timber, thought he missed. The next day we were walking the top of the finger and found the faint blood trail of his doe. Later that day he went to push a finger around to me I had my scope turned up on power glassing and a 10 pt. buck blew from right under the hill looking at me. Also, 2-3 times last year we caught ourselves with the scoped turned up. So I would not recommend a scope with anything more then a 1 or 2 power. I recommend you buy a good one, check the mount. When I put a red dot bsa on mine the bracket was machined wrong, the screws didn't pass through both ends, they actually caught the bottom of one. I ended up with a true glow red dot. Make sure your mount is solid, and true. I can't honestly say I have been happy using high dollar sabots, and I really do not recommend a scope over 2 power, it has no place on a slug gun. I believe I will be going back to a bird barrel and pumpkins, they seem to hit harder, and it is very fast to get on a target. Guess thats the long and the short of what I have for information, opinion, and help. We spent a lot of money to figure that out, good luck.
Old 10-30-2009, 03:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

what type of mounting system are you using? (cantilever, reciever drilled and tapped) what brand of mounts and scope?
Old 10-30-2009, 07:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

+1 Bowhuntercop's questions. Shotguns / slugs can be pretty punishing. You need good quality mounts and a tough scope.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:24 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by bugsNbows
+1 Bowhuntercop's questions. Shotguns / slugs can be pretty punishing. You need good quality mounts and a tough scope.
And if it's as tough to sight in as mine....a pillow for your shoulder.