Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
rings and bases ques.... >

rings and bases ques....

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

rings and bases ques....

Old 10-27-2009, 11:28 AM
Typical Buck

Default rings and bases ques....

I have a 7mm-08 Savage that came with the Simmons scope. I just updated my scope to a Pentax Pioneer II right after i got it sighted in with the cheap scope (dumb i know) but a good deal was had.

my question is, i just used the steel rings and bases the gun came with. The scope is very tight, no movement etc.... but how important is this piece? i don't even want to sight it in if i am just going to have to get new rings and bases. But i just don't see the need if these are solid. Can some one give me an opinion? how importanat are the rings and bases?
Old 10-27-2009, 11:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

How important is fishing line???

If you buy bargain brand line and aren't upset when an 8 pound bass breaks it then the bases and rings are fine...If not, invest another few bucks and get a good set...

Are these the rings and bases that came with the gun??? Do you have any way to tell what is on there now???
Old 10-27-2009, 12:09 PM
Typical Buck

I don't. But i would assume they are cheap since this was a package gun. Can you suggest what i should replace with?
Old 10-27-2009, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by semi
I have a 7mm-08 Savage that came with the Simmons scope. I just updated my scope to a Pentax Pioneer II right after i got it sighted in with the cheap scope (dumb i know) but a good deal was had.

my question is, i just used the steel rings and bases the gun came with. The scope is very tight, no movement etc.... but how important is this piece? i don't even want to sight it in if i am just going to have to get new rings and bases. But i just don't see the need if these are solid. Can some one give me an opinion? how importanat are the rings and bases?
I had a Savage package gun and it had aluminum bases and rings. I changed them out to Leupold steel bases and rings.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Change out the rings and bases before you mount the new scope. I use and would recommend checking out Warne, Leupold & Talley mounts.

Good Luck
Old 10-27-2009, 08:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

"Weaver Style" bases and rings.

Good to go.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Sheridan
"Weaver Style" bases and rings.

Good to go.
What does this really mean??? Weaver style is just that a style of mount. Leupold, warne, etc offer weaver style mounts, these are quality mounts however plenty of others do as well offer "weaver style" and they are crap. It's a package deal with a cheap scope so I doubt they put on a quality mounts underneath!! Yes it's an assumption but I feel pretty confident in making it. Mounts are easily passed over. IMO a mistake and for a few more dollars I'm glad to know I have a quality mount holding everything on top. My 2 pennies, but choice is up to you.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
How important is fishing line???

If you buy bargain brand line and aren't upset when an 8 pound bass breaks it then the bases and rings are fine...If not, invest another few bucks and get a good set...

Are these the rings and bases that came with the gun??? Do you have any way to tell what is on there now???

That's a good way to put it.normally I use Leupold 1 piece base es and rings.Somewhere in my little pea brain makes me feel the one piece is stronger and better.On my Sako rifles I have Buhlers.Have yet to try the Conetrol(sp) ,Tally, and Warne.But I do have a set of 30 year old Weaver 2 piece and an old Tasco 3x9x40 on my sons Rem.model 788 in .308.Never a problem.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:23 AM
Typical Buck

i guess the problem i have is the current bases always held the previous scope in check. This rifle was a solid shooter for over 3 years.

I will check out the new mounts. I am just struggling with how they could mean so much in the equation.
Old 10-28-2009, 06:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Semi...They may never cause a problem...My point is that with all we spend on hunting gear, having a good scope and rings are important...

My personal rifle is a 1980 model Ruger, they come with rings that fit into a dovetail in the receiver...I like this setup and I can check every screw without taking the scope off...

When mounting a scope for others I like the Leupolds and usually go with the Dual Dovetail...I've also used the DeadNutz system on a guy's 30-06 it looked like a solid system as well...

Frankly, I don't care for the package guns, I'd rather buy my own rings and scope so I know what type quality I have...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.