Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Which 300 Mag ? >

Which 300 Mag ?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.
View Poll Results: Which 300 mag do you own ?
300 Ruger Compact Magnum
0%
300 Remington Short Action Ultra Mag
4.35%
300 Winchester Short Magnum
19.57%
300 H & H Magnum
0%
300 Winchester Magnum
52.17%
300 Weatherby Magnum
19.57%
300 Remington Ultra Mag
6.52%
30-378 Weatherby Magnum
2.17%
300 Pegasus
0%
None I dont need a mag.
13.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Which 300 Mag ?

Old 10-28-2009, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like my Sako L691 in 300 WBY. It does everything that I want it to, but the factory ammo is expensive, and I don't hand load any more.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Frank in the Laurel
THE ULTIMATE ELK AND MOUNTAIN RIFLE.. MODEL 7 in 300 SAUM, stainless synthetic with a 3X9 Leupold.. can't figure out why this rifle never caught on... it has to be the best kept factory rifle in history... hard to beat in my opinion.. lightweight, powerful, easy to point, compact, great action... super accurate for a little snubby..great all around with big big power when needed.. too bad ole green couldn't establish a market for it......too be honest there's not alot of difference between them all.. maybe 300-400 fps at best and a big .30 cal hole will do the trick from most angles....
The fundamental difference between the RSAUM and WSM was that while the RSAUM sought to create the most powerful 30cal you could fit in a short action, the WSM cheated somewhat and came out in a configuration that matched the RSAUM in performance in a short action but had the potential to surpass it if you had a customer (ie longer) chamber or put it in a standard action. So the designers of the RSAUM put some constraints on their design that, as it turns out, were largely irrelevant to customers. Oops.

The result was that while the RSAUM really did optimize the performance of the short action with the bullets it was designed to shoot the WSM could be made to surpass it. I almost got a RSAUM but got the standard WM instead when I found that even the large Cabelas store I was in only had 2 boxes of RSAUM ammo on the shelf and that neither the RSAUM or WSM could optimally drive the 200gr bullets I wanted to shoot.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:02 AM
Fork Horn

I really think that "BIG GREEN" doomed the SAUM's themselves, if my ole' memory is correct they were just introducing the BIG ULTRA MAGS and waited almost a year later than the WSM's... most people who truely wanted one had already purchased one... the unbelieveable thing is that "BIG GREEN" started to chamber rifles in the WSM's and dropped their own design.. stunning.. the SAUM's take no back seat to anything in my opinion.. most of the time the difference in velocity is usually not enough to think about let alone worry about.. I've watched some custom chambered SAUM's side-hilling across 700-1200 yards and have found them to be very impressive in both accuracy and reliability.. it seems the "RAGE" for all of the short mags has long since run it's course.. nothing new has come by in a few years..looks like they may be a victim of the bad economy also... the right idea in a bad time.. myself, I still like the standard ole 300 WM..but the portability of the model 7 stainless is fine when hiking in the Rockies.. A good ole Nosler Partition or Barnes X-bullet in either 165 or 180 will smash any elk that ever walked with one shot... long live the little short "fat fellows".

YES, the prices of all ammo at Cabela's and Gander Mt as well as all factory ammo is rediculous, I watched a guy the other day shooting a SAUM with factory shells that cost darn near $3.00 or more per shot..a big expense getting reading for an Elk hunt.. if I had to shoot factory shells I'd be stirring away from all the big mags because of the cost, same bullet, primer and a little bit more powder and 3 to 5 time the cost...amazing

Last edited by Frank in the Laurel; 10-28-2009 at 10:07 AM.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:15 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for all the replies keep them coming