Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Remington 597 help with trade >

Remington 597 help with trade

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Remington 597 help with trade

Old 10-21-2009, 08:52 AM
Spike

Default Remington 597 help with trade

i just bought a remington 597 laminated stock heavy barrel with a simmons 8 point scope for 150.00 i think i got a good deal but heres the question im wantin a deer rifle and one of my buddies are wanting me to ttrade them my 597 for their remington 710 .300 win mag and give them 75.00 to boot and i dont know how much mine is worth all help will be greatly appreciated i dont want to do somethin stupid oh yeah by the way the 597 of mine has only had about a box of shells shot through it..no rust or scratches
Old 10-21-2009, 09:59 AM
Typical Buck

I wouldn't do it. Those rifles are junk from what I hear and you've got something that you'll be able to enjoy in your 22. If you're really looking for something for the 597 then I would go to a dealer and see what you can get for it or sell it to your friend for what you have into it. I would definately shop around for a good used rifle to get in a cartridge that you like. If you're trying to rush so that you have something that you can shoot in a few weeks on opening day then I would strongly recommend a muzzleloader. A lot of the cheap ones will shoot great for not a lot of money. But definately buy a quality used rifle instead of a cheap used rifle (you can get a good used 30-30 for 200ish I bet).
Old 10-21-2009, 05:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I probably wouldn't do it either. What do you have in your 597? A buddy sold a 710 in .270 with a nicer Simmons scope on it for $250. Well, that's what he was asking. I don't know what he got. I thought even that was high. The 710's aren't known for being great rifles although better than the 770's. I wouldn't do it because you could either keep or sell your .22 then go buy a nice Marlin XL-7 for around $300 from what I've read which is a much much nicer gun. You can also get a Savage package deal for not that much more which is also a lot nicer.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Tell your buddy you will only do it if he trades straight across. Then take the $75 and put a better scope on the 710 300 win mag and you have a descent deer gun. The 710's aren't as bad as some made them out to be, mine was a good shooter, but they are just a cheap gun.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:29 PM
Spike

i forgot to say in my original post its chambered in .17 hmr not .22 thanks for the input guys