Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Buckhammer slugs? >

Buckhammer slugs?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Buckhammer slugs?

Old 10-20-2009, 02:42 PM
Spike

Default Buckhammer slugs?

Some one told me today that you should not use remington buckhammer slugs out of a rifled barrel?

How true is this, i have read reports that guys are having great luck
Old 10-20-2009, 05:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

LOL! I would stop listening to the "advice" that this someone gave you.

I can tell you that BuckHammers have a bit more kick than other comparative slugs but that they are indeed hammers on deer.

Here is what Remington says about them.........

When it comes to delivering devastating knockdown power and superior accuracy, no other lead slug offers a more lethal combination than the Remington BuckHammer. Specifically designed for rifled barrels and rifled choke tubes, these high-performance slugs are capable of producing 3-inch or better groups at 100-yards with nearly 100% weight retention and controlled expansion to nearly one-inch in diameter.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, they are made for rifled barrels, and I think they can be shot from smooth bore cylinder choked barrels as well.

And yes, to me they do kick more than a typical slug. Not a fun range session if you shoot a bunch of them. I don't really feel recoil when I shoot at a deer though.
Old 10-21-2009, 04:02 AM
Fork Horn

They shoot great out of my hastings barrel but drop drastically after 100 yards.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:39 AM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

And they kick like a mule.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:09 AM
Fork Horn

I work with a guy that used the Buckhammers in his rifled 870 the last few years. He said they work great on deer. He switched to the new Remington Accutip slugs because the shoot flatter. He did say the buckhammers recoil really bad though.