Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Marlin 1894 44mag for deer - 100 yd gun? >

Marlin 1894 44mag for deer - 100 yd gun?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Marlin 1894 44mag for deer - 100 yd gun?

Old 10-25-2009, 08:23 PM
Fork Horn

At 200yds, the 44mag bullet from a rifle is probably doing something like what.....700fps? Less? I don't really know without digging out
my manuals. Lets just say 700fps.

Thats equal or more than my 4" 44 special using factory 246gr lead ammo.
AT THE MUZZLE!

I assure you, if I put that 44spl barrel flat on a deer's ribs, that 246gr bullet will at least make him tear up a bit. In one eye.

Thats the trouble with just concentrating on energy figures. They can be misleading.

If you are accurate enough to hit the vitals, a 44 will do it at that distance from a rifle. Definately.

I do every year at 50-100yds with 6"-7.5" 44mag revolvers. I actually shoot mild rounds too. 250gr hardcasts, at around 1150-1200fps at the muzzle (Basically copying Keiths hot specials). Clean kills, full penetration at 100yds. The energy figures are probably embarassing.

The problem is how many people can actually hit a 6" circle at 200yds with a 44 rifle.

What would do more damage to a brick wall?
A cement truck at 30mph or a VW beetle at 80mph?

Throw a baseball at a catcher, as hard as you can, and see how his body reacts.
Now gently toss a 12lb bowling ball at him, and see how is body reacts.

Mass wins. If you can utilize it!