Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Marlin 1894 44mag for deer - 100 yd gun? >

Marlin 1894 44mag for deer - 100 yd gun?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Marlin 1894 44mag for deer - 100 yd gun?

Old 10-20-2009, 11:59 AM
Typical Buck

I think Hornady started loading the leverlution bullets in 44mag.. That might make the ballistics a little better at 200 yards..
Old 10-20-2009, 01:38 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by brushbustin
That is the dumbest thing I have heard of,a 44mag beinga 200 yard gun! LMAO How can you ethically shoot at a deer with a 44mag at 200 yds?? I would definatly limit the shots up to 100yds,but I would not reccomend shooting at a deer at 200yds with a 44mag.I have the same gun and it is a tack driver with winchester 240gr JHP,took a deer at 60 yds with it,droped dead in its tracks,its an aweseom deer gun,but not a 200 yd gun..
10-4, good buddy!
Old 10-20-2009, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know with my 1894 lever gun in 44 mag, 100 yards was about all that I was comfortable with. Beyond that the groups really started to open up. I am sure that with more practice and load development I could have gotten some better groups though.
Old 10-21-2009, 04:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe it's bullet selection maybe it's circumstance but I'm on the verge of concluding that slower bullets kill deer better. This of course is based on my own personal experience. I need a handful more kills to feel more confident in that determination.

What leads me to this is every shot I've put on a deer past 100 yards results in an immediate drop. Typically not a step. With a close shot they run a bit. Some more some less.

Like I said need more trials to feel more confident.

Tom
Old 10-23-2009, 05:21 PM
Typical Buck

I forgot about making my post,until tonight..After reading these comments,come on guys, get real..A 44mag is not an ethical deer gun at 200 yds..Up to and includeing 100yds,its a very good deer gun that I would not hesitate to use.But seriously folks,Im not saying the 44mag won't shoot out to 200 yds,but im saying that it would not be ethical to take a 200yd shot with a 44mag at a deer..Sitting here looking at my shooters bible at the balistics for the 44mag at 200 yds,you only have roughly 600lbs of engery...Heck the 223 is a more capable 200 yd whitetail gun than the 44mag is,it has over 700lbs of engery at 200yds..ARe you guys the same people that argue the 223 is not a capable deer caliber?
Old 10-23-2009, 07:59 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by brushbustin
I forgot about making my post,until tonight..After reading these comments,come on guys, get real..A 44mag is not an ethical deer gun at 200 yds..Up to and includeing 100yds,its a very good deer gun that I would not hesitate to use.But seriously folks,Im not saying the 44mag won't shoot out to 200 yds,but im saying that it would not be ethical to take a 200yd shot with a 44mag at a deer..Sitting here looking at my shooters bible at the balistics for the 44mag at 200 yds,you only have roughly 600lbs of engery...Heck the 223 is a more capable 200 yd whitetail gun than the 44mag is,it has over 700lbs of engery at 200yds..ARe you guys the same people that argue the 223 is not a capable deer caliber?
Energy doesn't matter when you have almost 1/2" hole. Its the same ole tired arguement of big and slow (momentum) and fast and light (hydrostatic shock).

Just this morning I shot a 8 pt at 140 yards with a 250gr bullet from a ML. Out of the muzzle at 1800fps or so just like a 44 mag rifle. Complete pass thru both lungs. It doens't take much to penetrate lungs. But, you have to be able to hit them and not the shoulder. Accuracy is critical.

Old 10-24-2009, 10:46 AM
Typical Buck

I think we need to take into account the longer barrel of the rifle, if the 44 mag ballistics tables are quoting velocities from an 8" barrel you can add 180 to 240 fps on to the muzzle velocity.

As far as energy goes, minimum suggested for whitetail size game is usually 1000 lbs. With that said, most whitetails are about as hard to kill as a housecat. Unless its a less than perfect broadside shot, then the slower moving and the lighter bullet will be easier deflected, be it by brush, bones, etc.

As far as comparasins go, I would not really put the same terminal ballistics energy/velocity between a 223 slug at 50 grains against a 240 swc from a 44 mag.

the heavier bullet will always penetrate further, carrying damage in to the vitals further. With that said, I would not volunteer to be shot at, at twice the distances being talked about by either round.

An analogy I like would be a picture window and a large rock vs a pebble vs a hand full of sand. The large rock would break the glass. the smaller pebble might chip it, and the hand full of sand might dirty it or scratch it at best.

What's the difference between a 10 lb bag of rocks vs. a 10 pound bag of feathers? Nothing.

Which would you rather be hit in the head with?

I think 200 yards is a bit much for a 44 mag, but would attempt it if my survival depended on it. Anybody that can't get closer than 200 yards from a whitetail needs to work on their woodsmanship, rather than shooting skills. Not intoning that anyone here can't just stating it as a matter of course.
Old 10-24-2009, 08:13 PM
Typical Buck

No,im going by the ballistics chart in my shooters bible and it is for a 20in barrel,which comes on the lever action guns.It also has a chart for handgun 44mag.
Old 10-25-2009, 04:21 PM
Typical Buck

I don't have a .44 rifle, but I'd like one.

I do hunt with a muzzle loader, shooting .430-.452 Hornady XTPs. Deadly on deer, if I hit them in the right place. I think a .44 magnum rifle would be a little faster than my muzzleloader; I'm comfy to 120 yards or so.

If I actually practiced at 200 yards, I'd might take that shot. But I don't practice that far out.
Old 10-25-2009, 04:58 PM
Typical Buck

I primarily hunt with a bow these days. I own a 30-06, a 270 Win., a 25-06, a 6.5x55mm., and a 6mm Rem. All are scoped. I use those rifles for game other than whitetails. When the rifle season for deer opens here in Northern New York State, I leave all my bow hunting tree stands in place for a few sessions of rifle hunting. For that purpose, my rifle of choice is a Marlin 1894 in .44 Mag. Mine is an older model that I've had for years that I have maintained in excellent condition due to its occasional use. It is a pre-hammer block safety model (thank goodness!) It has no scope, but is fitted with a Williams receiver sight. So equipped, the gun is vey light; it points quickly; and recoil is minimal. It is a wonderful tool that I've taken about half a dozen deer with over the years. Every one of them was taken at 75 yards or less due to visibility issues in the dense woods that I own. All were found within a few yards of where they were shot. If one contemplates a long range shot, he would be better served with one of the hotter centerfires mentioned above. Someone mentioned hunter ethics. I'd just like to say that to me the thing that must be kept in mind is shot placement. No matter what weapon you choose...it is best not to push its capabilities to the edge....and careful shot placement should be practiced. An animal shot in a vital area is almost always retrieved.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.