Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
H&R Ultra Slug Hunter.  What scope do you like? >

H&R Ultra Slug Hunter. What scope do you like?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

H&R Ultra Slug Hunter. What scope do you like?

Old 10-02-2009, 12:29 PM
Spike

Default H&R Ultra Slug Hunter. What scope do you like?

Looking to get a 20 guage H&R Ultra Slug Hunter and wanted to know what scope you guys have or like with this gun? It looks like this gun comes with a scope mount from the manufacturer. How big a scope will this setup handle? I was thinking along the lines of a 3-9x32. Is a 3-9x40 to big for the standard scope mount that comes with the gun?

Thanks Guys.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

The gun does not come with a scope mount. It is a rail.

You will have to select the proper mounts to accomodate the scope of your choosing. You want to keep the scope as low to the barrel as possible.

I strongly suggest that you remove the screws that secure the rail and Lock-Tite them so you are always assured that the rail is dead nuts secure.

No matter what anyone says I will suggest, from alot of experience, a Simmons straight 4X scope (x 32mm). I have the Pro-Diamond models on all of our USH's and other slug guns. Have never had a failure of any sort. Great in low light. And the Pro-Diamond is a benefit also.

Last edited by uncle matt; 10-02-2009 at 12:54 PM.
Old 10-02-2009, 04:26 PM
Spike

Uncle Matt, Thanks for the info, recomended scope and the attached picture. It looks like your Ultra Slug Hunter has a black synthetic stock. Is that a blue barrel? It looks more like stainless, maybe the black stock gives it that appearance in the picture. None the less that is a great looking gun. Do they still make that gun with the synthetic stock? All I have seen on thier website is the walnut or laminate stocks.

Thanks again
Old 10-02-2009, 04:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Leupold VX-II in 3-9x40 on my Ultra Deluxe 20ga.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

AG I was baited into what Gander Mountain advertised as a synthetic USH, which turned out to be a regular wall thickness barrel gun. More like a Topper with a rifled barrel and scope rail.

The butt was pretty thin and it weighed probobly 1/2 what a true USH weighs and all I could think was PAIN when shooting 3-inchers. But I really liked the look of the black synthetic.

So I went for the look on one of my 12 gauges. I removed the stocks and steel wooled them, wire-brushed the heck out of the checkering, tack clothed and shot them with 4 nice light coats of Satin Black.

I was very happy with the results also.

Negative on the stainless barrel.

One thing I might add for anyone wanting to refinish one of these stocks is H&R puts a very hard clear on these things. Start with a 0 steel wool and work down to 000 or 0000.
Old 10-03-2009, 05:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

if your on a budget look at the bushnell banner 3x9x40 with the circle dot reticle. after that get a leupold varix ii. 2x7x33 or the 3x9x40 will do.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:23 PM
Fork Horn

On my USH 12Ga. I have a Leupold VX II 3x9-40 and on my USH 20Ga. I have a Burris Fullfield II 3x9-40. I would have to say I like my Burris better, just my 2 cents..
Old 10-04-2009, 05:02 AM
Typical Buck

I have a Nikon 2-7x32 on my 20 guage USHD. I wish I had a little more magnification sometimes, but I'll be ok. Good luck finding a scope. There's a decent number of good ones out there.
Old 10-04-2009, 04:26 PM
Spike

Guys

Thanks for all your help and recomendations on scopes you have and like for your H&R's. Good luck to all of you this hunting season.