Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Opinions Winchester 100 in .308 >

Opinions Winchester 100 in .308

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Opinions Winchester 100 in .308

Old 09-30-2009, 12:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Opinions Winchester 100 in .308

Anybody ever own one? Thoughts?

Thanks

Tom
Old 10-01-2009, 04:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

RR,

Why .284Win and not .308Win?

I know the .284's are more rare. Is there another reason you wanted that cartridge?

Tom
Old 10-01-2009, 09:30 AM
Fork Horn

I currently own one in 308 that was given to me by my father-in-law. I've hunted with it off and on for about 5 years and have been fortunate enough to harvest a few deer with it. It is fun to shoot at the range but I have found it to "wander" quite a bit. Mine use to often "jam-up" on me and I ended up getting it worked on a few times. They also had a firing pin recall. I strictly use mine to punch paper now. It is a beautiful rifle, and fun to shoot, however, I am just not confident enough with it to take it into the field anymore.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:01 AM
Fork Horn

The Model 100 is a great little rifle, as long as you keep it clean!, specificly the gas system, that is where all so called jams come from, the bolt is simply short stroking. Ive worked on a few in the past that Ive had to replace the gas system, once done, they are back to 100%. As to R.R. wanting one in 284, I dont blame him one bit!, the 284/7mm bullet has the highest B.C. of the bunch, inheritly more accurate.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:19 PM
Typical Buck

I have a first year (1961) .308 model. I like the gun and it came with some beautiful wood - once I got the old finish off that had been left by the previous owner.

Devil dog has got it right about keeping the gas sytem clean. The gun is very similiar in function to a M1A - it's just alot more trouble to get to the gas system on the 100.

Another thing to consider is that there are NO spare parts available for the 100 these days. Winchester sold them all off about 15 years ago and even those have been used up. This gun can be rough on the bolt carrier rails that attach to the gas system and again, there ARE no replacements - I had to get mine welded.

It's an ocassional plinker for me these days - I just don't want to beat it much so that it doesn't break something else.