Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
H&R Pardner and purchased a USH .20g rifled barrel >

H&R Pardner and purchased a USH .20g rifled barrel

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

H&R Pardner and purchased a USH .20g rifled barrel

Old 09-29-2009, 07:02 PM
Spike

Default H&R Pardner and purchased a USH .20g rifled barrel

Last year I purchased the .20 H&R Pardner and bought the USH rifled barrel for it. I am having a difficult time achieving a good group at 100yards unlike other .20 gauge USH owners. The best I can do is a 1-2 group at 50 yards with Hastings slugs. I tried Hornadys but I had horrible groups at 50 yards, so I switched to the Hastings brand. I am 2 inches high at 50 yards and when I move out to 100 yards my shots drop 4-5 inches. Do you think my shooting technic is causing my poor group at 100 yards? Are any of you .20 gauge USH owners having a similar problem? I bought a box of 3 in Hastings to see if they make a difference. Thanks in advanced.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:01 AM
Typical Buck

Default Accuracy

You don't mention any scope so I assume it is sights only? So it could be you and your alignment each shot. Really not that bad for open sights and you don't mention type or if any rest used either? Need a little more infor please.
Note: normally 3inch sabots shells are less accurate than 2 3/4. Usuallybut not always...
Old 09-30-2009, 09:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

If it is a Ultra Slug Hunter barrel it is a scoped.

It has to be something associated with the shooter as the slugs would not have that type of drop from 50 to 100 yards.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:37 PM
Typical Buck

I tried the same Hastings and mine were dropping just below the bullseye as described above. It's a heavy slug so they will drop like that. I would try a different slug like the Remington Coppersolids, accutips or corelokts. Every barrel has potential to be different. Good luck.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:26 PM
Spike

Sorry, I didnt mention a scope, but my gun is scoped (bushnell banner shotgun scope). So my shot shouldnt drop that low at 100 yards?
Old 09-30-2009, 06:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

The ballistics provided by Hastings shows the drop of the 2-3/4" to be + 2.01" at 50 yards and 0" at 100 yards & the drop of the 3" to be + 1.64" at 50 yards and 0" at 100 yards.

So the 4-5" lower should not be attributed to the ammunition.
Old 10-01-2009, 04:21 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by uncle matt
The ballistics provided by Hastings shows the drop of the 2-3/4" to be + 2.01" at 50 yards and 0" at 100 yards & the drop of the 3" to be + 1.64" at 50 yards and 0" at 100 yards.

So the 4-5" lower should not be attributed to the ammunition.

These just give you a general idea. They are not real life POI.

A couple of ideas:

Your height of rings and base mounts make a world of difference in down range POI. Have you lazer sighted the barrel to scope to see if they are level?

Your scope Parallax can make a difference in your POI as well.
Note: Put you gun in a steady rest and look through your scope, then move your head up/down, left /right just alittle. Do your cross hairs move around like they are floating? If so your POI will never be consitent.