Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 mauser  or enfield >

mauser or enfield

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

mauser or enfield

Old 05-26-2003, 04:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: mauser or enfield

Quilly if you don' t mind a rifle with a 29 1/2" barrel, have $200 to spend, and want the finest rifle you can get for the price, look at the link I posted at the end of this message. I got one of these about a year ago, its probably my favorite rifle. It shoots right along side with the Swedes for accuracy and is just as well made. These where made By CZ during the depression era for the Shah of Persia (modern Iran). CZ was well known for making fine rifles and was short on customers and gave the Shah a sweetheart of a deal, making him these really fine rifles with every upgrade and spit and polish on their model 98 rifles. Most of these rifles were used for ceremonial purposes and only have wear and tear on the stock, from the wrist forward- most wear if any at all will be the finish worn off the stock.

Several people from Parallex collector' s board have purchased these from Samco also, and rave about them. Take a look at the Czech rifle board and do a search for 98/29 or Persian mauser at milsurpshooter.net

http://samcoglobal.com/rifles.html#m9829

For a few extra bucks you can get the bayonet also- its neat as hell at about 2 feet long.
Old 05-26-2003, 05:39 PM

i don' t know if i would want to take that rifle out in the woods. even though it looks like a fine rifle.barrel is just a bit long for the swamp
Old 05-26-2003, 07:09 PM

Well as a custom rifle builder I find this question rather intresting. If by Enfield you mean P-14 or P-17 then you got somthing. Yes they require alot of work but for the big stuff they blow the Mauser into the weeds. Now do not get me wrong, I like the Mausers, especially the 1909, but let me see you build that in .416 Rigby. The Enfield when properly re worked is reminiscent of the Remington 720.
My most recent one traveled to South Africa in 2001 and was chambered for the new .366 D.G.W. cartridge, it performed flawlessly. By the way this cartridge is in the latest edition of Cartridges of the world. True this action
is heaver then the Mauser but with this type of rifle you want the weight. A 250 grain bullet at 3270 does kick But then again it is flatter shooting then a 300 Ultra with a 180 and packs more punch at 300 yayds then the Ultra does at 100.
The Enfield can be converted to cock on opening with out sacrificeing reliability, and when done right this improves the lock time. As for potential accuracy, no rifle leaves my shop unless it will shoot well under an inch, more like half inch or less, at 100 yards with proper ammo. This .366D.G.W. will shoot .487" with my load for the 250 Nosler bullets and .495 with the Swift 300 grain A Frame I used in Africa.
Mausers can shoot every bit as well and require alot less work to clean up and get the way we want them. However if you want somthing for .375 length, or longer the Strength of the Enfield and the size makes it the safest, and strongest, after all though it is done by some we should not really be cutting away the lugs on the Mauser so we can increase it' s length. Leave the Mauser actions for the .338 Win Mag and shorter. That is where they come into there own, and beat the Enfield, which in my oppinion is excessively long for standard cartridges.

If you want to know what can be done with the Enfield contact me, 207-938-3595 or Email me at [email protected]

Bye for now
Judson
Old 05-26-2003, 09:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

There' s another wrinkle here.....Charles Daly is now importing the new Mauser barreled actions in Many calibers. My .25-06 is very well done and comes drilled and tapped for mounts, adjustable trigger, bolt handle alteration, safety, hinged floor plate, and the barrel you want and blued. All this for a price that is much less than the cost of altering a ' 98 Mauser.

Stock it any way you want. Accuracy??....My .25-06 shot a ten shot group today that I totally covered with a quarter at 100 yards!!!
Old 05-28-2003, 02:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

how could i miss a mauser post?!?! i will back up the mauser...i have a 98k...only mines custom and all redone...but i love it...its the slayer here in PA...my dad is going to buy an original 98 now...i think its german...he said everything is there..cleaning rod sling and all..all original..and its not beat up at all....i iwll see it in a few hours...reguardless mine will still be the deer slayin mauser of the house....i hate the weight of it and the size...but man does it shoot and its a great gun other than the weight and size....and its been said time and time again that its one of the best bolt actions ever made....surprising being its that old..the 03 springfield is supposed to be another great rifle from the past...but i think they are alot more then 3-400 for a really clean original german mauser....i think i was selling one at a gunshow for a guy for 1200 or 1000 or 800 or something around there...i think thats what it was anyway.....good luck.....
Old 05-29-2003, 02:22 PM

Briman- I agree about the CZ made Persian Mauser' s, as I got one on layaway right now.
Can' t wait to get it and work-up a few loads for it.
Old 05-29-2003, 06:30 PM

Quilly- I have owned a .303 Enfield and a Turk Mauser and even though the Mauser only cost me half of what the Enfield did it was a much better firearm. The safety failed on the Enfield and I ended up selling it to someone willing to perform some work on it to get it back up to snuff.

The great and often overlooked aspect of the Turkish Mausers is that they are built on the famous 98 action! Yet you can pick the Turks up for anywhere from $50 on up and have yourself a very accurate rifle for about a third the cost of a 98. I got mine for $75, cleaned it up, stripped and refinished the woodwork, added a slip on recoil pad and ala peanut butter sandwiches I have myself a nice looking, accurate and reliable shooter. Not to mention the history of these rifles!

I recommend you get yourself a Turk Mauser.

Maine Patriot
Old 05-29-2003, 09:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Quilly, sorry I haven' t gotten back to you but my internet connection was down for a few days. The link Briman posted was the place I was talking about. Another place you might want to look is www.sarcoinc.com.
Old 06-01-2003, 11:59 AM
Fork Horn

Which safety failed, was it the thumb safety or the bolt 1/2 cock safety ?