Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
help with a mossberg 500 >

help with a mossberg 500

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

help with a mossberg 500

Old 09-21-2009, 12:55 PM
Typical Buck

Default help with a mossberg 500

i have an older model mossberg 500 and recently took is apart and cleaned it but also had a plug in there but the plug was only for 3in shells and i need a longer one for 2 3/4in shells i can still load it but the plug is stuck and i cant take off the magazine its stuck i need that plug out for ducks
Old 09-21-2009, 04:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

i had a similar problem. it seems the older 500-s had the ammo tube loc-tited in. if you do a search on google you should be able to find a step-by step. it involves using a bolt(i dont remember the size?) and a nut on nut technique to twist the tube out. you need to be careful because if you do it too hard you will bend the tube . when i got the bolt and 2 -nuts on it my tube came right off. i didnt loc-tite mine back on this time. wish i knew the size bolt you need but you should be able to figure it out. if you dont know how to tension a nut against a nut to back out the tube just ask a mechanic friend they will know. its not hard. good luck!
Old 09-21-2009, 04:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Typically you should not need a longer plug for putting (2) 2-3/4" shells in vs. (2) 3" shells. You are talking about a total of a half-inch difference which is nowhere near the length of an additional shell. You really shouldn't need a new plug unless there is some makeshift plug in there right now with alot of extra room.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:31 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by uncle matt
Typically you should not need a longer plug for putting (2) 2-3/4" shells in vs. (2) 3" shells. You are talking about a total of a half-inch difference which is nowhere near the length of an additional shell. You really shouldn't need a new plug unless there is some makeshift plug in there right now with alot of extra room.
i put the plug in there and it is too short i forgot about 2 3/4in shells i was plugging it for 3in at the time