Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Rebarrelling .30-06 to 6.5x55 Swede? >

Rebarrelling .30-06 to 6.5x55 Swede?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Rebarrelling .30-06 to 6.5x55 Swede?

Old 09-13-2009, 01:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Rebarrelling .30-06 to 6.5x55 Swede?

I know that the specs for the 6.5x55 Swede call for a slightly larger than standard boltface (larger than 0.473", like 0.480 or there abouts). If I wanted to, say, rebarrel a Savage long action with a standard bolt face to 6.5x55, would I have to have the bolt face opened up, or is there enough tolerance to accommodate the very slightly larger rim of the Swede?

Also, I recall reading that some makers of 6.5x55 brass actually use the standard 0.473" rim diameter. If so, which brand(s) of brass so this.

I want to get my wife a hunting rifle. I was thinking a 243 Win, but I have a Savage 111 in .30-06 that is too much for her to handle recoil wise, and I really am not interested in the reduced recoil ammo. I'd be between trading it for a .243, or rebarreling it to whatever. Because Savages are easy to rebarrel, it might be the more economical choice, especially since she likes the gun except for the caliber. It also would be nice to give her a semi-custom rifle that would be all her own.

The 6.5x55 is a great mid-level cartridge that doesn't kick much, but packs a wallop greater than the numbers say it should. Being a handloader, ammo won't cost any more than any other mid-level round, so I'm not adverse to going slightly exotic (I also own a .257 Wby, which is hellishly expensive if you shoot factory ammo).

I'm just concerned that it'll be a lot more involved than a simple barrel swap.

Also, the Savage has the newer style center-feed detachable magazine. Would this likely feed 6.5-55 cartridges well, or would it probably need to be modified?

Mike
Old 09-13-2009, 07:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

There should be plenty of room in a standard bolt face to accommodate the 6.5X55 case head. Typically a bolt face is about .010" - .015" larger in diameter than the case head they are designed for.

For example I have a Remington 700 30-06 and a Winchester model 70 .270 Winchester. Both of these rifles have bolt faces that measure .487"

I don't own a Savage so I can't measure how large the bolt face is on a Savage but I suspect that it will work just fine.

Having said this why not just rebarrel it to something like a 25-06 considering that you are starting off with a long action to begin with. Ammo is widely available and recoil is still very mild.

Last edited by bigbulls; 09-13-2009 at 07:39 PM.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I suppose that the 6.5-06 would be ok. I thought of the 6.5x55 because it's a bit exotic, bit it's still offered as a factory cartridge. This means that brass is readily available that doesn't require case forming. Necking up 25-06 brass to 6.5-06 wouldn't be too hard to do, but if one ever got in a jam and needed ammo, there is a decent chance of finding some 6.5x55 ammo around. 6.5-06 is still a wildcat.

Another reason that I considered the 6.5x55 is because my Savage's long action and full 30-06 length magazine gives plenty of room for the Swede even with the very long 140 grain tipped and VLD style bullets. This would allow me to seat the bullets out close to the lands without magazine length issues, and to take advantage of the space in the case even with a longer bullet. The 6.5-06 is a longer case and has more capacity, but to load a long 6.5mm bullet it'd have to be seated pretty far into the case, taking up a lot of the extra space the -06 case has to offer. Plus, the 6.5x55's typical lighter loading gives the advantage of low recoil and report. My wife is pretty recoil sensitive. I've also considered either rebarrelling to 243 Win or 6mm Rem, but the issue is one of how well the rounds would feed in a long action magazine. The 6.5x55 is big enough to take anything that won't try to kill you back at reasonable ranges, probably better than any 6mm, with only slightly more recoil. I'd imagine that the 6.5-06 is closer to the 270 Win for recoil, which I fear is too much for her to shoot comfortably.

Thanks for the input guys. I'll have to try to find my caliper and measure my bolt face.

Mike
Old 09-13-2009, 07:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Having said this why not just rebarrel it to something like a 25-06 considering that you are starting off with a long action to begin with. Ammo is widely available and recoil is still very mild.
That'd be the most efficient thing to do, I suppose, given that I already have another .25 cal rifle. But it'd almost be like having a closet full of nothing but white shirts and black slacks... it strikes me as being practical, but boring.

Mike
Old 09-13-2009, 08:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am sitting here holding some Wolf 6.5X55 Swede brass back to back against some Win. 270 brass and they are identical to one another at the base. And then I have some Winchester 6.5X55 Swede brass that is a bit different in the extractor groove, but base diameters are virtually identical. I don't think that the bolt of the gun would be able to tell the difference.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:12 AM
Typical Buck

The bolt of my sako finlite in 6.5x55 holds 30-06 cases just fine. they both use the IV action.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default 6.5x55

A lot of it depends on which bullet you want to shoot. If you want to shoot the 140's(which IMO is the best) then I would stay with a 6.5 mm cartridge. If you want to shoot the 120's then I would drop down to a 25 caliber cartridge. So IMO a lot depends on the bullet you want to shoot.

You can easily load the 6.5 Swede up to 2800-2900 fps with a 140. and maintain a lower pressure than the 260 Remington. You can push the 6.5X284 a bit faster but that is also under higher pressure and lower barrel life.

I like the Swede. I am looking at one right now in a Cooper Laminated Varmint model. I have narrowed it down to the 260 Remington, 6.5X55 Swede, and the 6.5 Creedmore. Take a look at the Creedmore. Hornady makes very good match ammo for that rifle at a great price(about $24 a box).

IMO the problem with the 260 Remington is the lack of good brass. You can buy Nosler but it is over a buck a pop(that is as much as Hornady loaded 6.5 Creedmore). With the Swede you can buy Lapua brass, and that is also good stuff, and considerably less than Nosler brass.

If you want something different then take a look at the Creedmore before you make a final decision. And look at the velocities they attain at the operating pressures. The Creedmore is a decent cartridge.

If you decide to rebarrel to a Swede make sure you talk to the smith about the throat. Most standard Swede's have a long throat. You might want to rethink that. Tom.

Last edited by HEAD0001; 09-14-2009 at 03:42 AM.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:02 AM
Fork Horn

removed by RD

Last edited by Ron Duval; 01-20-2010 at 02:27 PM.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:52 AM
Fork Horn

I don't know about a savage per say however I do know for a fact that the standard mauser/ charles daly/ remington 798 bolt faces work just fine on the 6.5 x 55. That being said remington brass is the same base as any of the 06 / 08 family of cartridges. I've reformed 270 & 06 to the 6.5 x 55 the body fire forms on the 1st firing and it works ok.