Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Classifieds > Guns
question about a shotgun...anybody know anything about them >

question about a shotgun...anybody know anything about them

Community
Guns Buy, sell, or trade your guns and gun accessories here.

question about a shotgun...anybody know anything about them

Old 09-08-2009, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default question about a shotgun...anybody know anything about them

First off not for sale just wanting to know what I have,found some info on internet but limited!
It's a Gasquione & Dyson 14 ga. made in Manchester England between 1843 and 1869.The old shotgun is damascus barreled and wood is in amazing condition for age! What really floored me is the engraving is like it just came out of custom shop on 95% of gun!Still has ramrod with it and ebony cleaning rod/jag.The springs are still great shape when ****ing,no slop or weakness,very little mushrooming on nipples from dry snapping.Like I said the engraving is fantastic,can even see detail in scene on buttplate of dogs flushing birds(buttplate looks nickel) and gold medallion on tang has never been scratch on.Anybody have better avenues for info than what I have found would be great! I don't have much in the gun just bought it cause it closely matches the 375 Kynoch Greener I already have
Old 09-08-2009, 06:34 PM
Banned

Could you post some pictures of this piece?
Old 09-08-2009, 06:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll try to post some...I am a horrible photographer!
One side of her.
Attached Thumbnails question about a shotgun...anybody know anything about them-dsc00054.jpg  
Old 09-08-2009, 06:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

another...sorry about size.
Attached Thumbnails question about a shotgun...anybody know anything about them-dsc00056.jpg  
Old 09-08-2009, 06:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

the old girl in her bed
Attached Thumbnails question about a shotgun...anybody know anything about them-dsc00059.jpg  
Old 09-08-2009, 06:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Having a father that has build and worked on firearms helps,he said the screws had never been removed or if they had someone knew what they were doig due to zero marks and they were all indexed to show no signs of removal! Dad has done some engraving and was impressed with the old time workmanship they put into it.Had a gunsmith that shoots smoke poles and builds them and he said he would load it up and hunt dove in a heart beat.The wedge that holds barrels on action is tight as the day it was built!
Old 09-08-2009, 07:07 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by RLoving1
Having a father that has build and worked on firearms helps,he said the screws had never been removed or if they had someone knew what they were doig due to zero marks and they were all indexed to show no signs of removal! Dad has done some engraving and was impressed with the old time workmanship they put into it.Had a gunsmith that shoots smoke poles and builds them and he said he would load it up and hunt dove in a heart beat.The wedge that holds barrels on action is tight as the day it was built!
Really nice gun.
Take good care of that one.
I owuld be afraid of hunting with it, I would be afraid of scraching it up.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hope you know you can't use modern ammo om those Damascus barrels ???
I have one just like it, as a wall hanger.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Kosherboy
I hope you know you can't use modern ammo om those Damascus barrels ???
I have one just like it, as a wall hanger.
It's a muzzle loader just have to stay clear of smokeless powders! I don't have patience to loads the thing but it is sound and can be shot..I'm just too spoiled to breech loading guns.