Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Adjusting Rem X-Mark Pro trigger trick... >

Adjusting Rem X-Mark Pro trigger trick...

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Adjusting Rem X-Mark Pro trigger trick...

Old 08-30-2009, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Adjusting Rem X-Mark Pro trigger trick...

So I had the M700 out to wipe it down, and when I dropped the striker to put it back into the safe (I never store my rifles c-o-c-ked, and yes, I did double check to ensure it was not loaded... safety first ) I couldn't help but think that the trigger felt a little TOO light for a hunting rifle.

Unfortunately, I don't have a trigger pull weight tester, or a fishing scale, so how is a guy to check and set the pull weight without said items? SODA BOTTLE!

My wife buys the 6 packs of Diet Pepsi 24 ounce bottles for me to take to work because it's much cheaper than buying it in a c-store, and I'm completely addicted to Diet Pepsi. Anyway, 24 fluid ounces = 24 dry ounces, plus the weight of the bottle which might be another ounce or 2, equals roughly 1.5 pounds, or what I consider to be the perfect compromise for a hunting trigger. Took the action out of the stock, tied some string around the bottle's flange, with a loop to go over the trigger. On my first test, the bottles weight easily released the sear. So I rec-o-c-ked (did anybody tell the idiots that programmed the ****ing profanity filter, that the word c-o-c-k has at least two perfectly legitimate, non-vulgar definitions in the ****ing English language!) the action, turned in the trigger pull weight screw, and rehung the bottle. Nothing. Then slowly turned out the screw until the trigger broke. Reset and retest, and it gives a consistent release as soon as the full weight of the bottle in on the trigger. Put the rifle back together, and tried the trigger and it feels just right. Light, crisp break, but not so light that I'd have trouble controlling the trigger with cold and/or gloved fingers.

This little ghetto gunsmithing tip brought to you by me and Diet Pepsi.

Too bad I don't have the guts to try floating the barrel and glass bedding the action. The stock is just too pretty for me to garf it up.

Mike

Last edited by driftrider; 08-30-2009 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Because the word "c-o-c-k" is only profane in certain CONTEXTS!
Old 08-31-2009, 04:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Pretty good idea IMO. I also like the term "ghetto gunsmithing"!
Old 09-02-2009, 06:22 PM
Typical Buck

do you find that the screw hanging out of the trigger is kind of annoying on your finger? I don't know how well i like mine. i may take it out and get a timiny
Old 09-03-2009, 01:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by outdoorsmen
do you find that the screw hanging out of the trigger is kind of annoying on your finger? I don't know how well i like mine. i may take it out and get a timiny
What screw hanging out of the trigger? Mine has no screws exposed when in the stock. Did Rem make two versions of the X-Mark Pro?

Mike
Old 09-03-2009, 02:07 PM
Typical Buck

interesting. i believe they did. mine is a 700 LTR and the adj screw is external on the top of the trigger.
Old 09-03-2009, 02:14 PM
Typical Buck

http://www.remington.com/pdfs/09_cat...log_rifles.pdf

look on page two. and page 4

Last edited by outdoorsmen; 09-03-2009 at 02:19 PM.
Old 09-03-2009, 03:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Then they must have redesigned it after initial introduction. Mine has no such external screw. The pull weight adjustment screw is on the front of the trigger assembly, similar to the original M700 trigger, and is accessible only with the stock removed. But mine is definitely the X-Mark Pro, smooth trigger shoe and all. My rifle, though, is a Limited Edition model from 2008, and the catalog cited above is 2009 rifles, so they could have very well changed it. Interesting.

Mike