Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ruger no 1

Old 11-19-2009, 05:09 AM
Banned

The 7x57 is one sweet gun. Only problem i had was scoping it, little trouble with eye relief, need extended rings.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:37 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by jhilde
For years iv'e waited to buy a Ruger No 1 and will be in a position to get one in the next couple of months. I want it mainly for mid to possibly long range shots on woodchuck and coyotes. The varmint model I'm looking at can be had in 223, 204, 243 and 22-250. My questions are, how many of you have used or own a number 1 and what is your impression of them and which caliber would you suggest? I'm leaning toward the 223 or the 243 because Iv'e used guns chambered for both of these and I'm familiar with them. Don't know that much about the 204 and the 22-250 may be just a little more than I need. Suggestions?
I have a Ruger No 1 in 220 Swift. It is a great shooter but Ruger no longer carries the Swift. According to what I have read, the Swift is inherently more accurate than the 22-250 but you may not be able to tell the difference. I had a Winchester Model 100 in 243 but had magazine problems, so I shot only 80 rounds through it, before I sold it. If you wantr to hunt deer, the 243 is ok but the 22-250 is not, so you might think about that.
Old 11-19-2009, 06:56 PM
Fork Horn

I have a question for the other number one owners--my new .204 is failing to eject the cases. Iv'e had it out to the range twice and I'm having a problem with sighting it in, partially due to wind, chilly weather and the range has been jammed with deer hunters both times. Iv'e gone thru almost two boxes of the Hornadays and it only ejects about one in ten. The gunshop owner says he has heard that the Hornadays stick and to try some Federals or Winchesters. Is this a problem with the smaller calibers in the #1's? It ejects live rounds fine. It will pull the spent case out about 1/2" and that's it. Then the case has to be pulled out by hand. Would honing the chamber help? Anyone else hear of this problem?------------------John