Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
how much ammo?, and how you carry it? >

how much ammo?, and how you carry it?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

how much ammo?, and how you carry it?

Old 08-28-2009, 03:31 PM
Fork Horn

Default how much ammo?, and how you carry it?

i have a sp101 357magnum, i open carry right now and carry my spare ammo in a closed shell carrier on my belt. i carry 18 spare cartridges in the carrier, is this enough? i plan on getting my c.c.p. next year, and hopefully get a concealment holster, and speedloaders. i'm on a fixed income and can't afford much of anything right now, is how i carry my ammo ok? i would like to know how much others carry, and how you carry it to give me some ideas that might be better than i'm doing now. thanks for any help.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Years ago I read that the average confrontation had 2.7 shots between the two...

Seems I remember Jeff Cooper sticking with the 1911 platform vs the higher cap semis saying "I can stop a riot with 2-3 shots, take out the first two guys and the rest will leave"...

You have 6 in that revolver, that's all you need...If you want to carry a couple of speed loaders, that's fine but I doubt you will need them...
Old 08-29-2009, 01:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

X2 What hawkeye said.If you need more than 6 rounds the defecation has already hit the rotating ocillator.A couple of speed loaders will make you feel better though..........LOL
Old 08-29-2009, 03:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Taking the CCW class next week. I have a 1911 and I'm not planning on carrying any extra ammo other than what is allready in the gun. If the situation requires more than six rounds, it is going to require more than just me.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:34 AM
Fork Horn

The SP 101 holds five cartridges...

I have carried the SP 101 without additional ammunition, although I have some speedloaders in the pickup. Hard to imagine needing more than five. In the event you take more than five shots, you better have a great explanation of the life threatening situation you were in while taking time to reload. Continuing to shoot, reload and shoot sounds offensive in nature. At least in Colorado, that would be a problem, even in your residence.
Old 08-30-2009, 02:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

If that revolver is a typical 6-shot then from what I've seen on TV you have 7 CHANCES to injure your aggressor.

6 shots and then you throw the gun at them, right?
Old 08-31-2009, 05:19 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by ColoradoElk
The SP 101 holds five cartridges...

I have carried the SP 101 without additional ammunition, although I have some speedloaders in the pickup. Hard to imagine needing more than five. In the event you take more than five shots, you better have a great explanation of the life threatening situation you were in while taking time to reload. Continuing to shoot, reload and shoot sounds offensive in nature. At least in Colorado, that would be a problem, even in your residence.
+1, I can't think of why you would need to reload in a purely
defensive situation, if you're concerned about having only 5 rounds you need to switch to a pistol instead of a revolver.

If you frequent areas that are that dangerous maybe you need to reconsider where you're going.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by uncle matt
If that revolver is a typical 6-shot then from what I've seen on TV you have 7 CHANCES to injure your aggressor.

6 shots and then you throw the gun at them, right?
You don't carry a gun to injure people. You carry a gun to stop aggression. Huge distinction. That slip could cost you.

Tom
Old 08-31-2009, 04:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you are not law enforcement, the six rounds are more than enough for self preservation. Use the extra ammo to practice.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:34 PM
Fork Horn

I carry either a Colt Commander .45 Auto with 2 spare (7 round) magazines...just in case "Mr. Murphy" shows up or WW3 breaks out...

or

A Taurus Pt-92FS 9mm with 2 spare (15 round) magazines...

Fortunately, I have never had to fire a shot...though the Colt's presence broke up an ugly situation...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.