Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Ruger 10/22 stock build a long >

Ruger 10/22 stock build a long

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ruger 10/22 stock build a long

Old 09-08-2009, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

That is one heck of a nice stock! You did a great job.

Tom
Old 09-09-2009, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have it back in pieces now, all of them. I'm going to do all of the little tricks that are posted over on rimfire central to fine tune the action. I'm stripping all of the paint from all the pieces, I have a bake on dry film lube that I'll be coating the inside with, and the outside will be painted with duracoat.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:36 PM
Spike

Nice job,

Where can a guy pick up one of those fake sound suppressors? It looks cool. Is it legal???
Old 09-10-2009, 06:54 PM
Typical Buck

paint just sits on top of wood, stain penetrates the wood grain, there are differences in stains though where one can be either a semi transparent, solid, or semi solid, solid stain looks like paint but has actually soaked into it, sealing it up, though most gun stocks are finished with other types of stain, or tung/danish oil. idk wth "dyeing" wood is but my guess is some boob just wants to make staining sound cooler....just my input....i work at a hardware store so this stuff gets me up in the morning haha
Old 09-22-2009, 07:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here are the pictures of the finished gun. I still need to take it back apart so that I can have the trigger housing, and the receiver by the mag well painted. I'm going to leave the top part of the receiver bare aluminum and just keep it waxed. If you look at the stock you can see how much work I put into reshaping, dyeing, and refinishing it. I machined the picatinny rail myself when I worked at a gun manufacturer and the extended magazine release is an arrow target point. I drilled and tapped the mag release for a 10-32 then I shortened the threaded part of the arrow tip and rethreaded it. I filed and polished the head in an electric drill, then I blued it. The guys over at rimfirecentral.com are .22 fanatics and I learned every trick and tip that one could possibly do to a Ruger 10/22. I did so much grinding and polishing that its not funny. I learned how to change to modify the bolt release to make it an auto bolt release. I even changed the headspacing to a more acceptable number, instead of the factory slop. The trigger pull is a smooth crisp 4 pounds, when I take it back apart for painting I hope to polish the trigger assembly down to a 2 1/2 to 3 pound pull. All that I can say if you own a 10/22, they make one heck of a winter project that cost nothing to do. At least check out the website.