Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
home defense gun. >

home defense gun.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

home defense gun.

Old 08-24-2009, 10:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default home defense gun.

Ok got alittle extra cash one of things i am thinking about getting is another home defense gun.
Option 1 is another hadngun properly one of the 9 seris ruger 9mm. I had one before i want another just not sure if i want it yet.
option 2. A mossberg 500 just in case gun. I like the idea of the 12ga. I live in kind of a rural area plus it's a mossberg 500
option 3 find another glock 21 to match the one i got now. I want a matching set just not sure i want it yet.
Option 4 something with some bang. maybe a 357 rev.
Or if i can swing the cash a AR15. what reason do i need besides IT's a ar15 who does not want a AR15 sitting around for that day kind of like the one in the 1860s
Old 08-24-2009, 10:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

ohh as for what i have now. I have a ruger 10 22. A mossberg 500 wood stock 28 inch smoothbore. and i have a glock 21 45acp 13 rounds.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have several options in my house...

First...I'd go either .40 S&W or .45 in a semi or .357 in a revolver...Second, a shotgun beats any of the above...
Old 08-24-2009, 11:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have a glock 21 45. I am leaning toward the shotgun. I nieghbor has a semi auto i might be able to get cheap. I hope going to ask today.
Originally Posted by nchawkeye
I have several options in my house...

First...I'd go either .40 S&W or .45 in a semi or .357 in a revolver...Second, a shotgun beats any of the above...
Old 08-24-2009, 11:34 AM
Spike

The easy answer would be to get a shorter 18" replacement barrel for the shotgun you already own. Mossberg barrels are pretty reasonable as far as price. The best answer is to get a 16" barrel AR15 with a collapsible stock. You already have a handgun it appears. The long gun trumps a handgun in any but the tightest quarters. The .223 round also penetrates walls to a lesser degree than buckshot or slugs, provided you load it with the correct ammo. . The AR is also much more controllable. They also get the cool factor. However, the shotgun loaded with larger shot is very formidable at close range. The last option would be a long gun chambered for a handgun size cartridge. Just a few thoughts.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think i might have miss titled the post after i did the post i thought about it. I have the glock and the 500 for defense. I guess it is more of a new toys to shot and have sitting there all pretty.
I think if i have the cash a ar15 223 or if i don't have the cash for it a just in case 500. 250 at gander does not seem high to me. plus i get the extra year warrenty. Or i might buy another 500 with the combo barrels wack one off to 18.5 for a close quarter gun then a 40 dollar pistol grip i end up with two 500 one a deer/ smoothbore gun a a home entry gun. Dang it is getting where i need a safe now .
Heck with it maybe just a 50 cal. I know noob creek is coming up
Originally Posted by schlitz540
The easy answer would be to get a shorter 18" replacement barrel for the shotgun you already own. Mossberg barrels are pretty reasonable as far as price. The best answer is to get a 16" barrel AR15 with a collapsible stock. You already have a handgun it appears. The long gun trumps a handgun in any but the tightest quarters. The .223 round also penetrates walls to a lesser degree than buckshot or slugs, provided you load it with the correct ammo. . The AR is also much more controllable. They also get the cool factor. However, the shotgun loaded with larger shot is very formidable at close range. The last option would be a long gun chambered for a handgun size cartridge. Just a few thoughts.
Old 08-24-2009, 02:42 PM
Typical Buck

For what you're talkin about I'd go for the AR15. If you live in rural areas then you may have some distance between you and your agressor if the $H1T really hits the fan. Use the AR for that, then have your mossberg stand by for close shots when you've ran out of ammo and then have your pistol(s) handy for close combat.

Personally, I've got a system similar 357 puma for farther shots, 12 gauge for closer and in house any of a few pistols. Take a look at you're situation and go from there.
Old 08-24-2009, 03:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't buy an AR anytime soon. They are way too expensive right now and impossible to get some parts.

This tree has too many branches. Rifle? Shotgun? Semi-Auto? Revolver? You gotta narrow it down. Plus, as you say, you've already got a couple home defense weapons and now say you just want a toy.

Well, if it's a toy, then just think of what you want to do with it. Then decide for yourself.

If it's truely for home defense, then I almost always say revolver in the handgun catagorie.

Shotguns are excellent for this, and I disagree with just changing the barrel. It would be cheaper, but it sounds like the one you have is more of a hunting setup. Would be better to keep it that way. Get a 500, add a pistol grip stock, ghost ring sights, and presto, the perfect home defense weapon (oh, and get rid of the strap Mossberg insists on putting on all their guns now. Retarded).

For rifle, I'd go lever action. Way more reliable than any AR or Mini14. Highly accurate at short ranges. And you can get it in a variety of calibers. You can get one in .357, then buy a .357 revolver. Now you have the perfect home defense combo. One type of ammo. Best of both worlds.

And you aint never gonna need a 30 round magazine. If you do, you're in way over your head and you should be considering escape routes at that point, not killing bad guys.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think a maverick 88 8shot, would be a great HD long gun,cant go wrong for 200$. Those cheapo hi point carbines get good reviews too. If I was lucky enough to own an ar15, I wouldnt waste it on a home intruder ,cause at least in this state, any gun you use to shoot someone with, whether justified or not, is not a gun youll likely ever see again, so it might as well be a cheapo.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't buy an AR anytime soon. They are way too expensive right now and impossible to get some parts.
Prices have come down quite a bit, and availability has gotten quite a bit better lately.

If it's truely for home defense, then I almost always say revolver in the handgun catagorie.
Why? I don't know of any organization out there that uses or recommends them over a quality semi auto.

Get a 500, add a pistol grip stock, ghost ring sights, and presto, the perfect home defense weapon (oh, and get rid of the strap Mossberg insists on putting on all their guns now. Retarded).
Why would anyone want a pistol grip on a shotgun? Completely destroys any advantage of a shotgun.

For rifle, I'd go lever action. Way more reliable than any AR or Mini14. Highly accurate at short ranges. And you can get it in a variety of calibers. You can get one in .357, then buy a .357 revolver. Now you have the perfect home defense combo. One type of ammo. Best of both worlds.
Since when? Are our soldiers and law enforcement agencies going out with unreliable weapons? I think not.
Second I see no advantage to using a pistol cartridge in a rifle configuration....might as well use the pistol. Not to mention that the lever action has many deficincies when it comes to reloading.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.