Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Winchester Ballistic Silvertips >

Winchester Ballistic Silvertips

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Winchester Ballistic Silvertips

Old 08-17-2009, 07:45 PM
Fork Horn

Default Winchester Ballistic Silvertips

What are some of your success/disaster stories with this bullet? Shoulder shots? After reading about ballistic tips blowing up, it has me thinking about continuing use of these bullets for deer because of lack of blood trail etc. I'm sure with a good shot (behind shoulder) they will work fine???

These bullets group very well out of my 7mm08. I have taken one deer with these which fell on the spot. What is your take on the bullet?
Old 08-17-2009, 10:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

If it shoots well and has worked in the past then use it. With over 30 game deer sized animals to a BT I have yet to see "the failures" that run rampant on internet threads and such. Never had a poor blood trail actually the opposite, in fact rarily not watched the animal fall in sight. Dead nutz shooters in many of my rifles and IME they flat out work great for our canadian deer.
Old 08-18-2009, 05:46 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by skeeter 7MM
If it shoots well and has worked in the past then use it. With over 30 game deer sized animals to a BT I have yet to see "the failures" that run rampant on internet threads and such. Never had a poor blood trail actually the opposite, in fact rarily not watched the animal fall in sight. Dead nutz shooters in many of my rifles and IME they flat out work great for our canadian deer.
skeeter hit the bullseye. I've never had or seen a so-called "failure"
with a BT. IMO, the stories are attempts by some to make excuses for poor shooting.

Last edited by popeye2; 08-18-2009 at 05:54 AM.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Theres a debate on whether the moly coated bullets are any good or bad for the barrell. I know I cleaned my friends gun that had been using them and it was like mud coming out of the barrell. They say once you use them you cant use any other bullet. Dont know if its true or not. This gun shot pretty good with them but after cleaning it and trying other ammo it never grouped again. Never put the wins back in it he ended up selling it.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I stopped using ST BT after shooting 4 deer and having the bullet split into 4 or 5 pieces each time.

I since use nossler ballistic tips and have good results...
Old 08-18-2009, 06:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

The cow elk that my pops shot this past year through both shoulders with his .270 at 50 yards dropped dead, bang flop. He has used the Winny Silvertips since they came out and hasn't shot anything else since is how much he believes in them. I will be making him up some this fall for him to try that will be a much cheaper copy.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just to be clarify winchester offers the Ballistic Silver Tip (black coated bullet with a polymer tip - similar to the NBT as nosler makes it for them part of the Combined Technologies umbrella ) & the SilverTip a cup and core bullet (copper and lead tipped). Name is shared but different bullet designs. I know guys who use the silvertip for elk in heavy gr. for caliber offerings. Personally I wouldn't use either but each his own.

Winchester moly loads were Failsafe & Partition Gold. The CT bullets offered currently BT and AB's use lubalox coating like Ridgerunner pointed out.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

yep different coating but whats the difference they both grease a barrel
Old 08-19-2009, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

so do you like or dislike the lubaloy all I know is this stuff came out of a barrel forever. It took a long time to get it all out.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

I reload and use naked bullets. I have never seen the need to trade my nosler boxes for CT bullets. Personally didn't buy into the coated bullets hype. Its not that I dislike them just see no need, I guess.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.