Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Another H&R question >

Another H&R question

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Another H&R question

Old 08-13-2009, 11:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by BOWHUNTERCOP
seriously, who will take a 200 yard shot at a deer? Paper targets are much easier then a deer, with a deer your blood pressure is rising, and also the recoil alone will put you off target with either a 12 or 20ga., the slightest move will knock you off target at 200 yards.

Get yourself the 20ga.
I think knowing the drop of the given slug at a given range makes 200 yards shots obtainable with enough practice at that range.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:36 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by uncle matt
I think knowing the drop of the given slug at a given range makes 200 yards shots obtainable with enough practice at that range.

200 yard shots at deer with modern slugs and rifles is very easily attainable. practice with your gun get to know it and those shots will go for you.
-Jake
Old 08-17-2009, 05:53 PM
Spike

I have the 20g H&R ultra slug. I spent alot of money trying to figure out which round my gun likes. The SST's are all over the place, I shoot the hastings which are comparable in price. I went shooting Sat. and I am sighted in 2in high at 50yds. At 100 yds I am dead center but 6 inches low. I dont know how people get accurate shots at 100yds. my buddy shot his Mosberg 500 12 gauge w/rifled barrel and at 100 yds he is dead bull. I was very impressed!
Old 08-17-2009, 06:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by rotorhead
I have the 20g H&R ultra slug. I spent alot of money trying to figure out which round my gun likes. The SST's are all over the place, I shoot the hastings which are comparable in price. I went shooting Sat. and I am sighted in 2in high at 50yds. At 100 yds I am dead center but 6 inches low. I dont know how people get accurate shots at 100yds. my buddy shot his Mosberg 500 12 gauge w/rifled barrel and at 100 yds he is dead bull. I was very impressed!
But something is NOT adding up. I just peeked at Hastings published ballistics and it doesn't matter if you are shooting their 2-3/4" or 3", if you are 2" high at 50 (+/-) you should be dead nuts on at 100.

Where 6" low comes in is a mystery to me. The only thing I can come up with is that if you did alot of 50 yard shooting and were then flinching at the 100 yd attempts that might have something to do with it.

But it isn't in the ballistics I can tell you that.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:07 PM
Typical Buck

[QUOTE=Bocajnala;3408015]200 yard shots at deer with modern slugs and rifles is very easily attainable. practice with your gun get to know it and those shots will go for you.
-Jake[/QUAgreed! Practice makes perfect.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:45 AM
Spike

Uncle Matt, I know there are several variables when shooting. I was shooting from a solid table and using shooting bags but you are correct a flinch could make a difference. I shot 5 rounds, 2 at 50 yards and 3 100 yds. My 50 yard shot had a 1 inch group 2inch high and my 100 yard shot had a 2-3 group 6-7 inches low. I use my H&R for close quarters hunting.