Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
H&R Ultra Slug Hunter >

H&R Ultra Slug Hunter

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

H&R Ultra Slug Hunter

Old 08-05-2009, 08:44 PM
Site Bouncer

Originally Posted by uncle matt

My nephew just bought one (that went back to H&R because the shell chambered too tight and it wouldn't eject)
This is the only problem these guns have...failure to eject and many many folks thought the same as your nephew, that the chamber was too tight but that's not the problem.

The problem is two part, one the machining of the ejector and the other is the lack of cleaning the machined materials out of the ejector slot.

Please understand that I'm not saying your nephew didn't clean the gun first before shooting it, He probably did, I did too. But what I found out is you have to take apart the ejector assembly and spray out the fine pieces of metal left in their from the machining process. This is a pretty tedious task to do and the only way to get all of it out. It's a shame but some guns left the factory with this crap still in them and suffered the same fate as your nephew's gun did. Hell I would have bet dollars to dough nuts my empty was super glued to the chamber it was in there so tight! The only way I could get the shell out was to stick a rod down the barrel and pop it out!

While I had mine apart I also stoned the ejector as it was rough with slight machining marks on it. Now it ejects empties across the room! It ejects in all weather conditions and no matter how many rounds I put down the barrel between cleanings. Those little shavings of metal will lock that sucker up like a bank vault!

This is a common problem with these guns (especially in recent years) and has been hashed over a thousand times to Wednesday on the internet. Most folks never figure out what it is and send their guns back to H&R. With a little digging I zeroed in on the problem and fixed my self in about an hour.

It hasn't soured me on the gun, as cheap as it is I figured there had to be some kind of short cuts taken....I can see it was in a thorough cleaning before shipment.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have no choice but to recommend a Simmons 7790D straight 4X scope with the Pro-Diamond reticle. (Yeah, blah, blah, blah it isn't a Leopold. Save it.) It is plenty of scope for slug distances. Nice crosshairs that are wide enough for the field and are finer in the diamond. Has great light gathering for dusk and dawn. And the Pro-Diamond is sweet. That diamond = 14" top to bottom at 40 yards so if you have an idea the size of a deer out there the diamond can act as a range finder.

I have (3) mounted on USHs and another on a Mossberg 500 slug gun. My oldest is on my 1997 12 gauge USH. NEVER had a problem at all with any of them.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

BigJ I don't know if I worded it wrong in my post but we did not think the chamber was too tight - we knew the ejector was protruding too far into the chamber. The ejector grabbed the rim of the shell just fine at the edge. The problem was the roughly 1/4" up front of the edge. It was literally putting a dent, an indentation or "crimp" into the brass.

It was cleaned before we went shooting and I sprayed almost a whole can of cleaner thru the ejector area and it didn't make a difference.

I polished up the ejectors on my USHs and they really pop the shells out far. I was going to put the BB in front of the spring but the polishing alone is good enough IMO.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:36 AM
Site Bouncer

Originally Posted by uncle matt
BigJ I don't know if I worded it wrong in my post but we did not think the chamber was too tight - we knew the ejector was protruding too far into the chamber. The ejector grabbed the rim of the shell just fine at the edge. The problem was the roughly 1/4" up front of the edge. It was literally putting a dent, an indentation or "crimp" into the brass.

It was cleaned before we went shooting and I sprayed almost a whole can of cleaner thru the ejector area and it didn't make a difference.

I polished up the ejectors on my USHs and they really pop the shells out far. I was going to put the BB in front of the spring but the polishing alone is good enough IMO.

Ahh.....gotcha.

Yep that sounds like a completely different bag of worms although it's probably related to the rough machining of the ejector. Sounds like yours wasn't quite milled to the proper proportions.

Yep, when I polished the ejector (and cleaned all the crap out of the ejector slot) it made a world of difference with how the shells ejected.

Hope it all works out for your nephew.

I also agree on a fixed 4 power scope. I have a Nikon 4x on mine and it's the perfect balance between clear full view super close shots and enough magnification for shots out to about the effective range of the gun.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Leupold VX-II in 3-9x40 on my H&R Ultra Deluxe, and I love it. I get great perfromance with the Hornady SSTs, since your using a 12ga., try many brands, seems like the Lightfields work well all the time
Old 08-06-2009, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

+1 on the Simmons ProDiamond - I got mine on sale for $40 and it's a great scope. I have mine mounted on a muzzleloader, but it has worked great for me so far.