Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
New rifle????? >

New rifle?????

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New rifle?????

Old 08-01-2009, 10:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I echo the 30/06 choice. Effective, affordable, available. It's pretty hard to beat when considering those specific criteria. You'll be likely to find whitetail and/or elk ammo in almost any place that sells ammo.

Little mom-n-pop stores that sell food and beer/wine, if they have any ammo at all, will likely have 30/06, 308, 270 win, 30-30, .22 long rifle, and maybe a handfull of shotgun choices.

Plus, it has taken more than a few elk and moose over it's history. There may be better choices when polling thousands of folks, but it still makes sense, especially for you.

Your other rifles aren't exactly rare or eclectic, but still, finding ammo for them isn't as easy as finding 30/06 on the shelf in 150 and 180 gr pills.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:44 AM
Spike

Your other rifles aren't exactly rare or eclectic, but still, finding ammo for them isn't as easy as finding 30/06 on the shelf in 150 and 180 gr pills.[/QUOTE]

This is true but i do like being diffrent think I have desided on 300win mag or 300wsm I have read a few ballistic charts online and they show the wsm beating the win mag with 180gr is this correct or what? Any info would be great. Bass Pro and Midway USA keep me with ammo.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:36 AM
Spike

270 or 280 will do the job with ease and ive heard good things about 25/06