Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
pistol shooters...help? >

pistol shooters...help?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

pistol shooters...help?

Old 07-25-2009, 05:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default pistol shooters...help?

ok guys...

took my sig 226 40s&w to the range today...

everytime i shoot this pistol, im grouping low...

thought maybe it was because i was shooting lighter bullets...today i shot 50rds of 180gr and i still shot low...

if im aiming at a spot, all of my shots are at or below the line that spot is on...id say center of the group falls about 4-5" low at 7 and 15yds...

funny thing though...at 7yds shooting weak hand only, i shot the 3" bullseye out...i worked hard on my weak hand shooting and found a form and grip that i shoot very well with and am pretty consistant with....i just cannot figure out why im shooting low with 2 hands...

thought maybe might sights needed swapped out....bought the gun used and someone may ordered different heights than sig had on them....

but today when i consistently blew the center out of a 3" bull with my weak hand, i dont think its the pistol anymore...i think its the shooter...which isnt a shocker...im still learning the ropes of pistol shooting....

i didnt have trouble with a 229 in 9mm ...the 226 feels better in my hand and is slightly larger...but im thinking the size is throwing my grip off or something??

anyone able to give me some advice or prognosis??

even if i take time and REALLY focus on each shot, they still fall low...if im shooting a little fast, they do tend to fall lower...

love the pistol...not going to a 229 or 9mm...i gotta learn to shoot it where i want it to shoot though!
Old 07-25-2009, 06:50 PM
Spike

check your grip.alot of people tend too grip to low witch will cause your muzzel to drop some when you pull the trigger.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:19 PM
Typical Buck

Default hEAVIER TRIGGER ??

Maybe your new gun has a slightly heavier trigger pull ??
May be causing you to slightly pull down on the front of thr gun .
Also grip it a little higher do to it having more umph than your 9 mm .
Old 07-26-2009, 03:36 AM
Fork Horn

You might try shooting from the bench with a rest. This should give you some insight on whether it's the pistol or human error that is causing the problem.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:32 PM
Fork Horn

This is common for some people who flinch from recoil. You end up trying to compensate for the recoil by pushing the gun forward and down. Have your shooting partner sneak a snap cap in your mag, and when you try to fire the fake you may notice yourself flinch.

Or you gun just may be low.

You could also look at this chart...

http://www.homegunsafety.com/images/...tion_chart.gif

Old 07-27-2009, 09:58 AM

remember to get your correct sight alignment and concentrate on your front sight, keeping your front sight in focus and your target blurry.....and concentrate on your front sight.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

thought maybe it was because i was shooting lighter bullets...today i shot 50rds of 180gr and i still shot low...
Raise the rear sight, lower the front sight or use heavier bullets, as you suspected!