Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Laser grip or not >

Laser grip or not

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Laser grip or not

Old 07-23-2009, 12:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Laser grip or not

Hello all.

I am looking for a CCW/home defense gun. I have settled on the SP101 with the spurless hammer, 2 1/4" barrel.

The one question I still have is whether or not to get the laser grip.

If it is dark, does the laser totally give away your position? Overall is it worth the extra money?

Any other comments regarding the laser grip vs the non-laser would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 07-23-2009, 01:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Red face Ruger SP101, laser or no...

The main "beef" I've heard concerning lasers is what you referred to... giving the shooters position away. Additionally laser grips are about $300 bucks more here. The SP 101 's are great guns though. My real concern is with the smallish grips. So, it's either aftermarket grips or the laser grips (which are a bit larger and much appreciated with a .357 mag).
Old 07-23-2009, 02:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

There's a lot of "gimmick" in laser sighting systems. One common oversight is that the laser beam itself provides insufficient light to identify a target in no-light conditions. Unless you have a flashlight or NVG, it's nearly useless.

A laser is far more useful in low-light conditions where your unaided eye can still gather enough light to identify the target.

However, you must be prepared for the worst of conditions - and you're likely going to need an artificial light of some sort in addition to the aiming aid that a laser would provide. Practicing with a handgun w/laser and a light adds a new level of complexity to shooting.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have one of these on my XD for home defense. The M6 Tactical laser illuminator. It's go the laser, but it's also got the super bright flashlight. It's got a rocker switch for both continuous and intermittent illumination. The idea would be to leave the light and laser off until you've found the guy, then use the laser and light to ID and aim at the target just when you're ready to confront him. The light is very bright, so much so that it'd totally blind the guy in near total darkness.

Unfortunately, I don't think that there is such a thing for your revolver. As for the lasergrips, again, they have a pressure switch and you simply wouldn't activate the laser until you're ready to engage the target. This way, by the time the laser emitter gives away your position, you've already got the jump on the bad guy and are aiming your weapon right at him ready to fire.

Only a fool would walk around the house looking for the bad guy with the laser on.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails Laser grip or not-69021.jpg  
Old 07-23-2009, 10:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

These are all really good comments. I like the idea of the larger grip that comes with the laser. That stock grip without the laser is brutal.

Is there a way to adjust the laser POI? For example if you remove the grips for cleaning (not done very often with revolvers I know), is it reasonably easy to adjust the sight?

Thanks again.
Old 07-24-2009, 04:45 AM
Fork Horn

I have Crimson Trace lasers on most of my home defense and Concel carry guns including the ruger sp101, I really love them. yes you can adjust POI on them very easily with out taking the grips off. They have a small allen wrench that comes supplied with the laser grips, you adjust up/down or left/right very easliy