Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 1911 plunger spring tool >

1911 plunger spring tool

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

1911 plunger spring tool

Old 07-03-2009, 02:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default 1911 plunger spring tool

Greetings all. Can someone recommend a tool or method to depress the 1911 plunger spring? I use a screw driver and it keeps sliding off of the spring when I attempt remove or insert the safety. When the screw driver slides off the spring, it scratches the finish-not a good thing!

The gun I have is an Springfield Armory G.I. m1911. And that beautifully parkerized finish is getting scratched up!

Thanks for your help.

~Robert
Old 07-04-2009, 01:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 1911 plunger spring tool

You probally just need a barrel bushing wrench.If it is like most higher end .45's or one that has been accurizedthe recoil spring is stiffer so it is hard to depress the spring and turn the bushing at the same time.My Kimbers come with one.You can get one at midway.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 1911 plunger spring tool

Greetings all. Can someone recommend a tool or method to depress the 1911 plunger spring? I use a screw driver and it keeps sliding off of the spring when I attempt remove or insert the safety. When the screw driver slides off the spring, it scratches the finish-not a good thing!

The gun I have is an Springfield Armory G.I. m1911. And that beautifully parkerized finish is getting scratched up!
I slip a credit card or a a piece of string under the safety then pull the safety out- you'lll need to put the safety to the 'on' position first and might have top wiggle it back and forth a bit. The safety will get easier to remove after you've taken it out and replaced it a few times. You don't need to lever the detent spring down to remove the safety, the detent hold its firmly in place, but it will 'give' if you pull on the safety firmly.

Also slip a thin credit card under the slidestop/release lever when trying to remove or replace it- it will help prevent getting a half moon scratch on your frame (known as an 'idiot mark')