Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.357 ammo

Old 06-25-2009, 06:44 PM
Fork Horn

Default .357 ammo

I have a Smith L frame and with ammo getting harder to find I stumbled accross two boxes of Hornaday, 357 Mag, 140 gr FTX, LEVERevolution. The guy at the store says it is loaded for rifles, but of course will work perfectly in the revolver. The rounds have a small amount of plastic in the nose which I'm told, causes even more hollowpoint expansion. He made the comment that this would be terrific home protection round. I'm not promoting the .357 for a home protection gun, but are any of you familier with this round? Pros, cons? Thanks----------John
Old 06-25-2009, 07:54 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: .357 ammo

I personally like a .357 Magnum as a home protection handgun, though I prefer the 125 grain JHPs. The 140 grain load would likely be even more penetrating, so be extra careful downrange.
Old 06-26-2009, 02:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Agreed...A .357 is a great defense round, with 125gr jacketed hollow points...Those 140s may pass through, which you don't want in a personal defense round...

Keep your eyes open, things seem to be getting better...
Old 06-26-2009, 02:48 AM
Fork Horn

As long as that little polymer tip doesn't get in the way (OAL?) of cylinder movement, should work just fine.
Pete
Old 06-26-2009, 10:54 AM
Fork Horn

Not to go too far off topic but I must comment on the bullet weight of a .357 magnum that I use for home defense. I have a S&W M19 K frame and it's loaded with 158gr Federal Hydra-Shok's and I see nothing wrong with using heavier bullets with a .357 mag. for defense.

http://www.federalpremium.com/produc...un.aspx?id=326

Old 06-26-2009, 06:25 PM
Fork Horn

My comment concerning the .357 as a home defense round was just playing it safe due to it seems a number of knowlegable people feel that the problem of over penetration is a valid consideration and I agree. However, it's also a definate man stopper. I know that the real reason for the small plastic tip is to keep them from going off in a tubular magazine, but have heard that it also aids in expansion of the hollow point. We live on a lakeand the neighbors are very rarely here so I'm not too concerned about over penetration, but break-ins are not uncommen so it makes sense to be prepared. Better to have one and not need it than....well you know how it goes..........John
Old 06-26-2009, 07:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

I could type it all up but I think the link is better.

https://www.hornady.com/shop/?ps_ses...f609233f4562f3

I think the guy wanted to sell the more expensive ammo. I would prefer a heavier JHP (158) or a wad cutter.

Of course no one can change my belief that the 12 gauge is the ultimate home defense weapon as far as fire power. 8 rounds of 00 buck spell disaster for even multiple thugs.
Old 06-28-2009, 07:38 PM
Fork Horn

Uncle Matt---Can't argue with you on the stopping power of a twelve guage. I just feel a handgun is much more concealeable, possibly easier to get to and in a state of extreme adrenalin rush, such as a situation where you are really going to use it, you won't swing it into a door jamb trying to shoot down the hall. Saw a show on tv years ago where they interviewed three different people who shot and killed an intruder in their home or business and the guy that used the shotgun started crying due to flashbacks about the clean up after the authorities left were more than he could handle. All three were completely justified cases of self protection, but the aftermath for the shotgunner was pretty grim. Just a thought--John
Old 06-28-2009, 08:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

If you guys think that a 125 grain JHP will not penetrate multiple walls you guys are fooling yourselves.

The leverevolution ammo will make a great home defense round or any other situation that you would want to kill a living thing. The soft rubber tip squishes as it makes contact with an object, acting much like water would, and greatly increases initial expansion.

Take a look at Hornady's critical defense line of ammo as a comparison as it is not available in the 357 mag. It has the same soft rubber tip that the leverevolution line does but it is flush with the end of the bullets cavity instead of portruding past the cavity.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:41 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: uncle matt

Of course no one can change my belief that the 12 gauge is the ultimate home defense weapon as far as fire power.
No, I think the the ultimate is my 10 guage Remington SP-10 Magnum semi-auto shotgun loaded with Federal 3 1/2 inch magnum buckshot with 18 pellets per round.

Quick Reply: .357 ammo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.