Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Beautifying an ugly synthetic stock >

Beautifying an ugly synthetic stock

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Beautifying an ugly synthetic stock

Old 06-20-2009, 02:11 PM
Spike

Default Beautifying an ugly synthetic stock

I apologize for the length of this entry, but I’d like some feedback.

I bought a fugly Savage 116 in .30-06 with a somewhat cheap injection-molded black synthetic Accustock. In all fairness, the lines of the Savage are very nice (IMO), but the unsightly seam from the injection molding process, which circumnavigates the outer edge of the stock,coupled with the dull black matte finish; really leave a lot to be desired.

Why did I buy such an eye soar? Why didn't I just get a nice walnut stock available on their Classic models or some other brand? That's easy; for one, it is a very accurate piece that is renowned for its sub-MOA performance right out of the box. I won't go into the details of the refinements that Savage has done over the last couple of years to make their rifles an even better value (if that were possible), but I also wanted something that was going to brave the elements better than walnut. I’m the kind of guy that will be out their come rain, sleet, or snow.

I mentioned the stock was cheap, but that really isn’t a fair statement. The Accustock is pretty much the best synthetic stock you can get for your money. Nothing I have seen comes close for your dollar (IMO). With that said, it still leaves a lot to be desired. In addition to what I have already mentioned, the butt of the stock has a piece of styrofoam wedged or glued into it to presumably help keep its shape/rigidity.

Although it is an ugly duckling, as many claim, I recognize its potential to become a beautifully camo’d stainless swan. Actually, it will become a beautifully camo'd stainless steel deer/moose/black bearkiller when I am through with it.

I’ve spent some time sanding away the ugly seams and eliminating burrs throughout the stock. I just filled out the paperwork to send it to Dynamic Finishes (http://www.dynamicfinishes.com/index.html)to have it dipped in Realtree AP camo for $90. When it’s done, it will have a nice camo-skinned stock to complement the Savage’s stainless steel hardware.

The seams/burrs will be gone and the dull black finish will be obscured with Realtree AP camouflage. HERE IS MY QUESTION: once I get this back from Dynamic Finishes, is there anything I can use to replace the cheap styrofoam block they’ve inserted into the butt of the rifle to keep the sides of the stock from coming together. Is there something I can inject in there in lieu of the styrofoam insert? Or should I just let it be. It (the styrofoam) will be the last thing on my rifle that will exude cheapness (so I’d like to get rid of it if possible/prudent).

Please feel free to add comments and suggestions.

Old 06-20-2009, 04:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Beautifying an ugly synthetic stock

You have three options the way I see it.

You can fill it with epoxy and lead shot, which will fill the space with a solid mass, but will also add weight (not necessarily a bad thing, especially if the rifle kicks hard) and shift the balance of the rifle toward the butt.

Secondly, you could go get yourself a can of the expanding foam sealant at the hardware store (the kind you use to fill gaps in a concrete wall with). Remove the styrofoam insert and fill the opening with the foam being careful not to get it on any visible portion of the stock because it's a PITA to get off once it cures. Let it cure overnight, trim the excess with a knife and you've got a permanent, hard foam filler for the stock.

Or as a third option you could just leave it be, since it isn't visible. As long as it does what it's supposed to do, doesn't cause any other problems, and modifying it offers no practical gain in aesthetics, strength, or performance, then why bother?

I'd also say that if you are thinking about having it camo-dipped, you might also consider just painting it (or having it painted). I've seen some pretty cool painted synthetic stocks, and it's my understanding that with the Krylon Fusion paint and the Krylon Web paint it's a fairly easy DIY project. There's a guy lurking around here (forget his handle) that paints stocks and has posted pics that could probably help you out if you want. You might try searching for "painted stock" here. I remember he painted a stock hot pink with black web for his daughter that actually looked pretty neat (my daughter liked it).

Mike
Old 06-20-2009, 04:54 PM
Spike

Great advice Mike. Thank you!
Old 06-20-2009, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Liberty,

I already went through a lot of what you are experiencing a ways back. I looked at all of the options, including Dynamic, and was not happy with any I saw. While I would have been very happy to do a real refinish of the stock, as I am sure you know by now unless the stock is fiber or Kevlar paint does not adhere all that well. Along those lines I decided to keep the project simple and allow myself the ability to touch up any work down the road that might require it.

Below is the stock I did. Not only did I convert this 3-Shot 12 ga Savage 210 to a blind magazine myself, I also did all the paint work as well. (I have since done a number of other upgrades as well.)

JC

Old 06-20-2009, 07:02 PM
Spike

Nice work. You really don't think the primer works that Dynamic puts on before the image?
Old 06-20-2009, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: liberty1743

Nice work. You really don't think the primer works that Dynamic puts on before the image?
It works, but the problem is not their process, it is the material that is used in the stock. The bond is not as strong as would be if the stock was a fibreglass or kevlar composite. All that means is that it is more prone to stratching. That really isn't a big deal if you have a random pattern but as you move into camo's etc it becomes more noticable if parts are missing.

For me personally, I just think the camo finished guns look cheap.(With the exception of waterfouling guns where it is really necessary.) But that is just a personal opinion. (In fact I had a matching camo stock for that sameSavage that I just gave away to a friend.)

Either way I think you will be happy as long as you don't treat the stock too harshly.

JC
Old 06-21-2009, 04:46 AM
Fork Horn

here are the steps for an awesome paint job. do it the way you want

http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=36000
Old 06-21-2009, 06:00 AM
Spike

Wow, that's awesome!
Old 06-21-2009, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mello_collins

here are the steps for an awesome paint job. do it the way you want
Samemethod and paint I used. I just decided on a "splatter" pattern since I am not fond of the camo look as I previously mentioned.

JC

Old 06-21-2009, 08:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here is another semi-custom project I did. Before and after of A-Bolt rifled shotgun I previously restored with Black-Ice and stock painting by MPI.

JC

Quick Reply: Beautifying an ugly synthetic stock

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.