Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Gun with most sentimental value. >

Gun with most sentimental value.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Gun with most sentimental value.

Old 06-14-2009, 01:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Gun with most sentimental value.

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

Mine is the Mannlicher-Schoenauer carbine. The one I have now is in 7X57mm caliber.
That gun, and in that caliber, is as near a perfect hunting set-up as can be shot by man. It's bolt, it's swing and handling, it's caliber and the inherent low recoil and the ability to load it from 120 grain pils to 180's (depending on your twist) makes it a real pleasure to own, load, and shoot.

I will be helping my dad present a very similar one (in 6.5 X 54) to my cousin. It was our grandad's, he was a gunsmith, and my cousin never got in the line when guns were distributed after my grandpa's death. Though i always had my eyes on it it will be even more special to give it away to a blood relative who will cherish as I would have.

Ya can't own everything and in the end it is really just stuff ... it's the memories behind the stuff that gives it import.
Old 06-14-2009, 04:28 PM
Fork Horn

First gun used my brother in laws 11-48 Remington semi auto16 ga. My sister gave it to me when he died 52 yrs later.
Great gun
Old 06-14-2009, 04:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sentimental value? Here ya go....

1953 H&R Model 923, 9 shot .22 revolver.

This was my dad's from years and years ago. He was on an IBM business trip from upstate NY
and flew down to San Antonio, TX. He happened to walk into a drug store back then, and
believe it or not, the drug store even sold handguns, shotguns, rifles, etc... !! [8D] My dad saw
the little H&R revolver in a display case and asked about it. The clerk got it out and showed
it to my dad. The clerk also got a handgun of .22LR rounds and led my dad out back, outside
the drug store, where my dad tried out the .22 on some old paint cans. My dad liked it, so
he bought it for only $25 bucks. No background check, no paperwork, (receipt is long gone).
Then, if you can believe this... My dad flew home on the airplane back to NY with the revolver
at his side!

Imagine trying to do that in this day and age!!!

Old 06-14-2009, 06:00 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: ButchA

Sentimental value? Here ya go....

1953 H&R Model 923, 9 shot .22 revolver.

This was my dad's from years and years ago. He was on an IBM business trip from upstate NY
and flew down to San Antonio, TX. He happened to walk into a drug store back then, and
believe it or not, the drug store even sold handguns, shotguns, rifles, etc... !! [8D] My dad saw
the little H&R revolver in a display case and asked about it. The clerk got it out and showed
it to my dad. The clerk also got a handgun of .22LR rounds and led my dad out back, outside
the drug store, where my dad tried out the .22 on some old paint cans. My dad liked it, so
he bought it for only $25 bucks. No background check, no paperwork, (receipt is long gone).
Then, if you can believe this... My dad flew home on the airplane back to NY with the revolver
at his side!

Imagine trying to do that in this day and age!!!
Gun laws are way to strict anymore. The goverment does it for a good cause but it's alot of trouble for nothing.

I also have a few more guns I want to name.
Two old army issue 7.64x54r, Winchester model 94 30-30, Winchester model 190 .22, a old Remington .22LR(Not sure of the model.
The Winchesters are my fathers.He is still using them.
The 7.62x54rs are mine they were passed down to me from my late grandfather.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:18 PM
Site Bouncer

This is a tough one for me asI have many that are dear to me but this one stands out the most. It'sa model 1873 (circa 1884) 44-40 that was one of 10 Winchesters bought on consignment and then sold byBill Cody (yup Buffalo Bill). This rifle was given to me by my father and I'd heard the stories of it's history and purchase since I was a kid. My father never bothered with confirming with Winchester. He's "Old School" and actually purchased the rifle from the widow of the original buyer so he knew it's story and that was good enough for him. I on the other hand like to get things in writing because as time goes on it gets tougher and tougher to confirm. So the first thing I did was write to the Winchester Museum for written conformation of the story. Not only was it true but I now have a "standing offer of purchase" from the Cody Museum should I ever want to sell it. The engraved side plates are pure silver, it's just a beautiful rifle.

Old 06-15-2009, 05:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: 8mm/06

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

Mine is the Mannlicher-Schoenauer carbine. The one I have now is in 7X57mm caliber.
That gun, and in that caliber, is as near a perfect hunting set-up as can be shot by man. It's bolt, it's swing and handling, it's caliber and the inherent low recoil and the ability to load it from 120 grain pils to 180's (depending on your twist) makes it a real pleasure to own, load, and shoot.

I will be helping my dad present a very similar one (in 6.5 X 54) to my cousin. It was our grandad's, he was a gunsmith, and my cousin never got in the line when guns were distributed after my grandpa's death. Though i always had my eyes on it it will be even more special to give it away to a blood relative who will cherish as I would have.

Ya can't own everything and in the end it is really just stuff ... it's the memories behind the stuff that gives it import.
Yes, the 6.5X54mm chambering would make it a real classic! You are fortunate to have one of those originals.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: BigJ71

This is a tough one for me asI have many that are dear to me but this one stands out the most. It'sa model 1873 (circa 1884) 44-40 that was one of 10 Winchesters bought on consignment and then sold byBill Cody (yup Buffalo Bill). This rifle was given to me by my father and I'd heard the stories of it's history and purchase since I was a kid. My father never bothered with confirming with Winchester. He's "Old School" and actually purchased the rifle from the widow of the original buyer so he knew it's story and that was good enough for him. I on the other hand like to get things in writing because as time goes on it gets tougher and tougher to confirm. So the first thing I did was write to the Winchester Museum for written conformation of the story. Not only was it true but I now have a "standing offer of purchase" from the Cody Museum should I ever want to sell it. The engraved side plates are pure silver, it's just a beautiful rifle.

Wo! Amazing! It looks new!!
Old 06-15-2009, 07:49 AM
Fork Horn

Mine is a Dan Wesson 357 which is the last gun my dad owned before he passed from cancer. It is one of the original Dan Wessons.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:03 AM
Spike

That gun is stunning.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:49 AM
Site Bouncer

Thanks guys,

Like I mentioned, this was a tough one to call, there are so many that have special meanings to me. This pistol is also very dear to me as well, it's an original steel gripped Model 1851 Colt Navy (circa 1858) sporting original carved Ivory grips.

Thanks for indulging me.

Quick Reply: Gun with most sentimental value.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.