Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Help me out here...Please! >

Help me out here...Please!

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Help me out here...Please!

Old 06-12-2009, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Help me out here...Please!

Ok well I currently own an 870 supermag and its a great gun, I use it for turkeys, waterfowl, upland game, and all else inbetween. It is my all around gun. But I would like a shotgun to mainly have for ducks and the upland game, I looked at Stoeger 2000's, Mossberg SR, Remington 11-87, Baikal, and other brands of the o/u and semi-autos.
I just dont know which action would be better suited for a more "mid to small" bird gun. And then when I found myself saying "smaller" birds I thought of possibly another pump, but in a 20 gauge?
I own a very nice semi-auto .410 that is a great gun but it obviously doesnt have the range or pellet count of a 20 or 12 gauge. I love shooting the little .410 which brings me to look at the semi's, and I have shot my cousin's Ruger RL also, which is an awesome gun. And of course my trusty 870 has never failed me.
So what should I do? I want a gun that I can chase the quail, doves, pheasants, and band tail pigeons around with, then also be able to hunt some ducks with it. Any suggestions are gladly appreciated!
Thanks!
BHB
Old 06-12-2009, 12:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Help me out here...Please!

All I can tell you is I have a Remington 1100(12 Ga)for say about 30 years, I use it for everything, I even have an extra rifled barrel for slugs when I hunt Illinois, I have never had it failed me yet and never had to repair it, I do clean it and oil every time I use it and the bluing on it is still about 90%.
Look them over.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can't think of a better gun than the Ithaca 37. I would go with the 20ga, but the 12ga or even 16ga will do just fine.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Unless you are jump-shooting ducks off of prairie potholes, a duck gun is a different animal than an upland game gun. For uypland shooting, I recommend a good SXS double in 20 ga, IC & Mod chokes, around 6 - 6.5 pounds or less. You can use a 20 for ducks too, but with a tighter choke and 3" chambers......
Old 06-12-2009, 04:27 PM
Spike

Eldeguello has it right. Use your 870 SM for ducks, and for upland game get yourself a used but good side-by-side20ga. I have an AYA (Spanish brand) that I love hunting with. But there are many other brands that are excellent such as Parker, Fox and others. Lots of good quality examples can be found gathering dust in gun shops because they went out of style.
Or, find an over/under you like and use that. Browning Citori's are great guns, although a little pricey when new.
If you shoot your 870 really well, and you want to stay with a pump, get a Wingmaster 20ga, or an Ithaca model 37 20ga. Both good guns too.

Best of luck, and have fun shopping around!

Old 06-12-2009, 05:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

the others are right....

an upland gun wont be suited for waterfowl...unless your shooting a 3" semi or so...your 870 is more suited for ducks than what most consider an upland gun....

i fell in love with the winchester model 50 semi 12 gauge...

its just "that gun" for me...its probably my favorite gun..its that gun for me that "if it flies it dies"

my buddies hate when i get outta the truck with that thing...but then they love it in the same sense lol...they know im carrying game home...but they know that im usually carrying my limit of grouse back to camp to clean and start dinner while they continue hunting lol...

i like the semi...and ive killed lots of game with that 3rd shot...grouse and rabbit hunting i will send the first 2 down range to get through the brush..the last shot i'll work on the critter lol...

im sure other semis would suit me probably better...but i love the m50...hard to beat a classic winchester...
Old 06-13-2009, 05:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

So then if I am going for a mostly upland gun...should I get a 20 gauge?
Old 06-13-2009, 07:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

A 20 will serve you well for upland game.
Old 06-13-2009, 10:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Browning Upland Special 24" barrels and light (6lb 4oz??)
Maybe out of your budget, I paid $1,000 in 1993???
You will need no other gun for upland game unless you choose too,
so spend your money wisely on something YOU want, if possible...

I have the 12 ga and like the thought of more pellets.
I typically shoot #8 for grouse, woodcock and rabbit for the first 2 or 3 weeks of the season.
Then I'll put in an 8 top (1st) barrel and a 7 1/2 (2nd shot) when the leaves drop and I can shoot further.
I'll jump up to #6 for pheasants...

Old 06-13-2009, 05:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I sure wish I had the money for an Over and Under...That would be real nice!