HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Weatherby Vangaurd (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/295109-weatherby-vangaurd.html)

jdhogg 07-29-2010 05:04 PM

im betting a savage will bbe around with parts and such for a long time.bless all you americans

Sheridan 07-29-2010 08:34 PM

I enjoyed reading all the comments.

I think I can count on one hand (with a few fingers left) the negitives points.

Price value is what it's all about, no matter how much money you end up spending.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder !!!

zrexpilot 08-01-2010 02:46 PM

one thing about the vanguard is it has a pressure point on the barrel up at the front of the stock
weatherby gives a 1 1/2" group guarrantee, but I would remove that pressure point to float the barrell.
My vanguard with a floated barrell will do under an inch off a cold bore every single time.
for instance last time at the range off a just cleaned barrel I put 4 in an inch in the bull and left, killed 3 hogs at the ranch with head shots, back to the range to check velocities as I got my new chrony, put 3 in the bull (.67 ) through the chrony off a cold bore.
Thats 7 consecutive bulls eyes under an inch on different days, and 3 head shot hogs.
This thing amazes me.

A11en 08-20-2010 06:55 PM

I agree JDHOGG - GO American made!!!

zrexpilot 08-23-2010 11:46 AM

not my best group, just one I was able to retrieve.

statjunk 08-24-2010 05:33 AM

I'm not sure why just can't warm up to the Howa action or the Vangaurd.

It's more a looks thing never shot one. Only fondled a few.

Tom

zrexpilot 08-24-2010 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by statjunk (Post 3668633)
I'm not sure why just can't warm up to the Howa action or the Vangaurd.

It's more a looks thing never shot one. Only fondled a few.

Tom

is it the action you dont like to look at or the gun as a whole, because the gun utself isnt very apealing I have to agree.
But I went with the vanguard with intentions of putting on a nice stock.

statjunk 08-24-2010 10:41 AM

Well the stock is the major culprit, no doubt. But to me even the bolt body, the bolt shroud and the bolt handle just don't do it for me either.

I'm a pretty die hard Winchester fan but I'm willing to shoot other rifles. Heck on a rare occasion I've actually wanted to shoot a few Rem 700's I've seen. LOL.

Like I said, just can't warm up to the Howa action/Weatherby Vanguard. Heck even the Nosler Custom kind of turned me off when I first saw it.

Tom

Remy25 08-24-2010 04:02 PM

If you have a budget and want to stick to it, and your budget is a vanguard then there you have it. I had a blued/synthetic in 30-06. It shot under 1 1/2 MOA out of the box. They are good rifles, just not my cup of tea. A little to heavy, 24in barrel not good for eastern whitetail hunting and I found it a little heavy. But they are a good rifle. And I am a Remington fan.

Vapodog 08-24-2010 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Bergcrane2 (Post 3370842)
I prefer the actual Howa to the Vanguard. I bought the Howa with the Hogue overmolded rubber stock in stainless and love it. The rubber stock grips great in wet, cold weather. It doesn't get cold like plastic or wood does either.

Mine is the same except blued instead of stainless.....I really like the overmolded rubber. Mine is a .223 and shoots fine, carrys fine and just plain works.....prairie dogs hate it!