HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Weatherby Vangaurd (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/295109-weatherby-vangaurd.html)

Sniper151 09-02-2009 03:51 PM

Excellent shooter and price, negative, synthetic stock.

reelhook 09-07-2009 05:51 AM

I would buy a Howa from Legacy Sports- I like the features better that Weatherby-Howa has some different cal. that Weatherbyu

spudrow 09-07-2009 05:57 AM

I own one in 30-06 bought from Wally World. I shoot dime groups at 100 yards with my hand loads. Great gun for the dough. The only downside is the weight, tooooooo heavy.

Spudrow from Mo

mr.mc54 09-09-2009 10:44 AM

Too dnmn Heavy--otherwise, great groups.

PHA 09-18-2009 06:51 PM

I had two and sold one. They are heavy and triggers have a lot of creep. The Timney replacement is a big improvement. I am a Remington 700 fan and just can't warm up to the Vanguard mainly due to the weight.

tgh97531 01-09-2010 04:42 PM

For $200 some odd dollars you can drop your Weatherby Vanguard, Howa into a Bell and Carlson Medalist with a full aluminum bed.

zrexpilot 01-10-2010 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by tgh97531 (Post 3551370)
For $200 some odd dollars you can drop your Weatherby Vanguard, Howa into a Bell and Carlson Medalist with a full aluminum bed.

I put mine on an axiom stock, it has aluminum pillars.
Its in 7-08 an is probably the most accurate gun I have owned in 30 years. The one thing I dont like is the 2 position safety, I wish it was a 3 position. The trigger came very nice with no creep and I adjusted it down some. The trigger is easier to adjust than the remingtons. Just one screw vs 3 on the rem..

I wonder what makes them on the heavy side though.

heres a pic.

Duckbutter48 01-11-2010 04:56 AM

I have one in 300wthby. I purchased a laminate stock from boyd brothers.com, I bedded it and FF'd the barrel and I like the gun a lot better now.

Couple things through my experience.

I cannot shoot the gun multiple times in a row quickly when testing reloads. I have to shoot let the gun cool and shoot again a about 5 mins later otherwise I get a string group. The shots will go in a line usually each shot about 1" higher then the last.

The triggers can be adjusted but still aren't that great. They feel a bit "gritty" not sure how else to explain the feel of it. Also I could not get all of the creep out of mine and its prob close to 4lbs which is a bit high for my tastes. I think a replacement trigger would be the way to go here.

When I removed the original stock there was glue on the barrel. It took some work to get it to come off but you just don't see this on higher end guns.

I prob wouldn't buy another WTHBY caliber with a 24" barrel. I really think you need a 26" to get the true velocity out of these calibers. If I had it to do again I would have bought a standard caliber.

I purchased mine the 1st year they were available at Walmart and if I remember correctly they were only available in 270, 30-06 and 300wthby(could be wrong here though)

Overall for a <$400 rifle they are hard to beat. I think a stock upgrade and a replacement trigger would be great additions to the gun.

A11en 01-12-2010 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by bugsNbows (Post 3356296)
Generally, they are very good shooters. On the negative side, I always thought they were heavy and not very "refined". Just my $.02.

X2 - I was going to buy a W Vangard Sub MOA. After holding it, shouldering it, and working the action, I bought a Model 700 Mountain Stainless instead. Glad I did

JeffS 01-12-2010 03:54 PM

I got Vanguard with wooden stock in .30/06. It is 4 for 4 with one shot kills. We loaded some handloads today and after we found the powder it likes with a 5 shot group at 100 yards every hole was touching. I won the gun in raffle but I really like it.