Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Remington Model 700 Mountain Rifle LSS >

Remington Model 700 Mountain Rifle LSS

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Remington Model 700 Mountain Rifle LSS

Old 05-17-2009, 07:24 AM
Typical Buck

Default Remington Model 700 Mountain Rifle LSS

I am looking at these rifles and would like opinions from those who own or have handled them.

Are they accurate? What kind of work do they usually need right out of the box? How do they handle? All replies welcome...thanks!
Old 05-19-2009, 02:59 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Remington Model 700 Mountain Rifle LSS

I have two (30-06 and a 260). Neither is as accurate at the range as my Savage or Browning, but both will shoot2" groups at 100yards on a bad day, which is all I ask in a deer rifle. Theyhandle so good and fit me, so they are the ones I usually reach for come deer season. Just let the barrel cool at the range.
Old 05-19-2009, 04:28 PM

Same-
MTN. fits you good, accuracy not all that. But for what it's used for the lighter weight and better handeling stock makes it a nice rifle.

All said a Savage 116/16 with its 22" sporter barrel is IMO better balanced and a LOT more accurate right out of the box without having to do any mods.

The Remington really doesn't neeed any mods. either. Some people prefer to replace the new X-Trigger... it is junk... IMO.

So, for my vote, it's the Savage butthe Remington will do if that is the flavor you like!
Old 05-20-2009, 05:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a LSS in 7-08 and Im getting sub 1" groups on a calm day w/ 140 corlock and 154 gr interlock handloads. I did alot of stalking last season and carried this rifle up and down some rugged terrain ,and it was a joy to carry all day long. W/ the 2.5-8 luepy I mounted on it, the whole gun weighs only about 7lbs but surprisingly it doesnt seem to kick bad at all ,and IMO the rifle balances great and fits me perfectly. I did replace the trigger w/ a rifle basix drop in (90$) but the factory trigger wasnt that bad (older 700 stlye, not xpro)

This gun replaced a savage 16 308 that I bought 6 months earlier, that had the worst synthetic stock I ever had and really wasnt all that accurate compared to other wood stocked savages Ive owned .

That said the savage was 450$ and the rem was 750$, but if you got the extra $ Id say definatly go w/ the rem, if you want a light stainless gun ,and Id recommend the 708 too ,I think its currently the only short action cal. offered in the mt rifle. the longer action kinda defeats the purpose of this gun, and w/ the light weight of this rifle,the heavier cal.s are not going to be fun to shoot.
Old 06-17-2009, 04:34 PM

I've got a Remington 700 Stainless Mountain rifle in .243 Win. It shoots 1" groups at 100 yards. However, because the barrel is thinner than a standard rifles making it very light, you need to let the barrel cool between shots. If you don't, you'll get the results the others described above (less accurate). Its really the first shot that counts. From a cold barrel, I can shoot 3 shots before the barrel begins to heat.

When hiking deep - this is my favorite rifle at 7lbs with a scope