Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Scope opinions please >

Scope opinions please

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Scope opinions please

Old 05-14-2009, 07:17 AM
Spike

Default Scope opinions please

Hi, I just purchased a HOWA .338. Im looking for a scope for, everyone is telling me to get something fairly high power because this gun can shoot well at long ranges. Im looking for a 4x12 or 4x14 dose that sound right? The gun is stainless and black so a silver finsh scope would really match it the best. I got a great deal on the gun for 300 bucks, I was hopeing to keep the scope under 200 but if I need to spend more to get something that wont fail me I will. So far ive found a SWIFT scope that would fit my needs for about 175 ive seen mixed reviews on them, anyone have any experience with them? Can you guys recomend something else? If anyone knows of a good useed scope for sale id be interested in that too. Thank you in advance, just found the site looking foward to my membership.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Scope opinions please

Welcome to the forums. Good place to get opinions on almost anything, and I'm sure you will get them in response to your post. Personally, I'm unfamiliar with the Swift line. I've heard of them, but don't remember any comments one way or the other.
What I will tell you is that you only get what you pay for. Those low-priced optics out there are for the most part junk. You will be replacing a cheap scope with a good one in short order if you go that route, and will have wasted the money you spent on the junker. I'm pretty much a Leupold fan myself, for several reasons. The quality is great, and so is their customer service should you ever need it. I bought a Bushnell 4200 Elite not too long ago, and I'm impressed with it's quality. Good optics, and tracks and repeats quite well. Lots of others out there too----Zeiss, Swarovski, etc.,etc.
I'm sure you will be getting personal feedback on your subject. Good luck with whatever you decide...........
Old 05-14-2009, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here is my take. The .338 is a substantial boomer therefore a scope with good eye relief (3.5-3.75" minimum IMO) is in order. Secondly, if you get over about 10X on the top end, you'll need some sort of A.O. or side (3rd turret) parallax adjustment. I don't much like A.O.'s on regular hunting rifles. If it were mine, I'd say 9-10 X at top with no A.O. Thirdly, reticle selection is important. Do you want some sort of holdover type or not? Do you want an etched reticle? Fourth is price. You get what you pay for. For durability, Leupold is good. For price / value there are better choices IMO. It depends on what you want to pay and your "typical" usage. I'd not go the Swift route. My top choice would be a 3-9 X 40 Zeiss Conquest with the Z 600 reticle. It has an etched reticle, constant 4 " eye relief, good glass and great CS Dept. That's my take.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have a 3-12x50 on my .340wby.

I have two 4.5-14x, one on a .300 win mag. another on a .270, just recently put a 4.5-14x44 on my .243win.

I really like 14x for those longer shots opposed to 10x, but I think any upper end mag of 10-14x would be a good set up on that .338. Personally on my .340 I wanted something with low power and high power, which tends to be hard to come by in afairly pricedscope IMO. 3-12 felt like a great compromise of both high and low powers, after all you can use that .338 for brown bear up close...or long range elk too.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Considering the larger animals usually hunted with a .338 (elk, moose, bear), I honestly don't see how you would need much over 9x that a 3x-9x would provide-especially just starting out with a .338. You're not going to just pick up a .338 and be able to reliably make 500 yard shots with it. Leupold, Nikon, Burris, and Bushnell to name a few make scopes that fall within that quality/price level you want. Welcome to the forum!
Old 05-14-2009, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you are sticking to your pre-imposed $200 price range. I 'd probably shop around looking for a Burris FFII...may cost you a little more than that but not much and unless you have some definite long range needs...say beyond 400 yds. I would go with 3x9 x 40.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm assuming that you bought a 338 winmag. Like has been stated you get what you pay for. I'd suggest a Leupold VXII or Vari X II both of which you'll be able to find on Ebay for not much more than what you $ 200 range is. I just recently bought my first Zeiss and am very satisfied with it. You definitely want a scope that will give you 3 1/2" of eye relief at a minimum. That spells Leupold, Nikon, Bushnell Elites and Burris. Word of advise.. unless you absolutely need a scope right now, save your money and buy a quality scope once and you won't be needing to replace it down the line. I think we all have fallen into that trap of buying something at a lower price and then needing to replace it when it breaks or the shortcomings become evident enough that you finally decide that you wasted your money.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:55 AM
Spike

Wow, thanks for the speedy replys. Ok, so upon reading what youve all said Im going to look for something with an min. of 31/2 inch relief. The gun is a .338 win mag as someone asked. I know the gun is good at long range how ever I am not yet. So at the current time im not worried about the long 300yd+ shots but I would the scope I buy to be capible of it when I feel more comfortable. With that said I saw many of yourecomended a 3x9 or a 3x10 power. Down the line whatlong range shots would I be able to atment with a 3x9 or 3x10 300? 400? 500? yds? I want a good scopethat I wont be replaceing ina few yearsso spending more then my 200 figure is probably whats going to happen, however Iam trying to avoid the $400+ stuff unless totally necessary. Im going to I search now for a few that you guys recomended. But would welcome any more input before I make a purchase.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Leupolds
Old 05-14-2009, 11:26 AM
Fork Horn

Default old

removed by RD

Last edited by Ron Duval; 01-19-2010 at 06:27 AM.

Quick Reply: Scope opinions please

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.