Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 7MM Rem Mag Ammo >

7MM Rem Mag Ammo

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

7MM Rem Mag Ammo

Old 05-06-2009, 08:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default 7MM Rem Mag Ammo

I just purchased my 2nd 7mm Rem Mag rifle. It is a new Browning X Bolt. I was shooting Remington CoreLokt 150gr. factory ammo w/ my old Savage and sighted this one in w/ the same... Shooting great...
Just curious on what your thoughts are on what is the best overall factory 7mm Rem Mag load available.
I have no problem sticking w/ the CoreLokts... the price is right, but any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-06-2009, 10:12 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 7MM Rem Mag Ammo

There's no way anyone can predict this, one may work in one and stink in another.. you've got to get to the bench and give em' a whirl.. At the price of factory ammo these days, it might be cheaper to buy two rifles !!! I was looking at some ammo at Gander's and I was stunned to see $50, $75 and even $100 AMMO.... who would have ever thunk that !!!!
Old 05-06-2009, 10:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

no... it's crazy.. the corelokt sells for $30 a box here.. give or take... most of the federal w/ ballistic tip, etc. is well over $40 + per box...
It is crazy.. I do have 2.5 boxes of CoreLokt... and it is shooting good.
Actually took my moose this year w/ the Core Lokt 150s....

Old 05-06-2009, 05:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

If they shoot out of YOUR rifle, and provide good terminal performance, then don't worry about it and shoot them. Just try to stock up on as much as you can of that particular lot so that they'll all shoot the same, and in the same place.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:36 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: stalkingbear

If they shoot out of YOUR rifle, and provide good terminal performance, then don't worry about it and shoot them. Just try to stock up on as much as you can of that particular lot so that they'll all shoot the same, and in the same place.
Any same lot# if possible
Old 05-07-2009, 01:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Actually my 7MM RM has always grouped better with Core-Locts over the premium stuff!
Old 05-07-2009, 04:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you don't mind using a conventional, rapid expansion soft point, then don't overlook the Winchester Super-X Power Points or the Federal SP (blue box). I've had fantastic accuracy with the Winchester PP, and the Fed blue box SP's are (if I'm not mistaken) loaded with speer hot cores, and they are very inexpensive.

Mike

Old 05-07-2009, 05:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

News flash! The CHEAP federal blue box 150 gr sold at wal-mart don't shoot worth a dang out of my A-bolt Stainless Stalker. This rifle has a reputation of digesting almost anything well. My nephew brought 2 boxes to shoot in my rifle (among other calibers) and it won't group in MY rifle. Maybe your rifle will like them but I'd bet not.
Old 05-07-2009, 06:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: stalkingbear

News flash! The CHEAP federal blue box 150 gr sold at wal-mart don't shoot worth a dang out of my A-bolt Stainless Stalker. This rifle has a reputation of digesting almost anything well. My nephew brought 2 boxes to shoot in my rifle (among other calibers) and it won't group in MY rifle. Maybe your rifle will like them but I'd bet not.
Every rifle is different, and the only way to know is to try it. I picked up a box of 150gr Fed Blue box for my .30-06 when they were on sale for $13/box, and they grouped average between 1.5-2" at 100 yards. Not stellar, but certainly acceptable hunting accuracy unless your planning to shoot past 300 yards. The Rem 150gr Core-Locs grouped only slightly better at a consistant 1.5", and the Win PP 150gr bullets shot 3/4". This was with my Savage. For the price of the ammo it wouldn't hurt to try them to see if they'll group.

Mike

Old 05-07-2009, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have never shot much factory ammo out of my remington 700 7mag, but I have tried a box of winchester supremes 140gr BT and federal premiums 160gr NP. Both loads shot fine out of my rifle. I normally load 150gr nosler BT's and 140gr accubonds. But like what people have said what one rifle likes others may not.

Quick Reply: 7MM Rem Mag Ammo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.