Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Sell , trade , or stupid ???? >

Sell , trade , or stupid ????

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Sell , trade , or stupid ????

Old 05-04-2009, 02:52 PM
Typical Buck

Default Sell , trade , or stupid ????

I currently own two varmint cal rifles. A CZ 527 American in .223,and a Savage Model 16 FXP3 combo in .204 Ruger. As I have stated before; I love my CZ and can't bring myself to shoot the Savage. I am thinking of selling or trading for a similar quality and condition .223 . My reasoning for this is that; I don't want to pay over $1.00 a shot for a loner gun. I thought if I had another .223 ,I could just shoot my Black Hills ammo through it. The truith is that I might have a little spring fever. As a side note; it is nice to see people singing the praises of CZ. I sometimes feel like I am alone out here. So do you folks think that is a dumb idea or does my logic hold water ?
Old 05-05-2009, 03:53 AM

Default RE: Sell , trade , or stupid ????

Why would you want a Savage 223 if you already have the CZ in 223.

I understand the desire to move away from the 204 and get something else, but I don't understand why you would want 2 - 223's.
If you really want a 2nd rifle in 223, I would like at an AR type rifle instead of another bolt.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: popeye

Why would you want a Savage 223 if you already have the CZ in 223.

I understand the desire to move away from the 204 and get something else, but I don't understand why you would want 2 - 223's.
If you really want a 2nd rifle in 223, I would like at an AR type rifle instead of another bolt.

I'd make # 2 a 220 Swift........
Old 05-05-2009, 09:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like having two .223's. They are very fun and cheap to shoot. When we are prarie dog hunting you can let your barrel cool and keep banging prarie dogs. I have a Savage .223 and it is a shooter. I couldn't stand the way it looked and found a wood stock for it. Looks a lot better now.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:07 PM
Typical Buck

I was looking to simplify a little. If I have two .223 rifles, I can buy one type of ammo for both. I was thinking by doing this I could swap out my .204 and get a different loner gun that is cheaper to shoot. As it is right now, I shoot my .204 only a few times a year. My hunting buddy uses it more than I do. I wanted two bolt actions so I will have one for me and one for my son. When he gets old enough. [ In 10 years or so. ] He is only two right now. He doesn't know it yet but he is already the proud owner of a BPS Micro 20 ga.Back to the subject, I thought if I was only buying one type of ammo, I could save some money. .204 ammo is not very cheap or diverse. I buy Hornady rounds for it and they cost a little over a dollar a round. Plus, like I said before , I might have a little spring fever. I could just keep the .204 and not shoot it I guess.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator

If you're buying it just because you need another rifle, go ahead and get rid of the .204. The .223 is cheaper for sure. Also, I'm sure your son would appreciate his own rifle, so that might be a good idea, even if it will be a few years before he is ready to shoot it. Personally, I would get somethign a little different, but I don't have a son yet to shoot with me, so maybe your idea is best.
-Jake
Old 05-05-2009, 01:05 PM
Typical Buck

I have smaller rifles for him to shoot. I own a .22lr semi and a .22lr single shot. The single will be the first gun he shoots.I think grandpa wants the honor of taking him shooting the first time. I kinda like the idea of that, so it is fine with me. I think I will look into what I can get for my .204 before I make a decision.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:09 AM
Typical Buck

Any idea on what a Savage model 16 in 204 ruger would fetch? It is stainless with a synthetic stock. It comes with a sling and a scope. The scope is a simmons 3-9x40. I have found them on the web for $560.00 ,but I thought that seemed high. Any thoughts would be great. As a side note ,the gun has had less than 60 rounds through it.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Why would you want 2 rifles of the same cartridge??

I fully understand why you would want that. I have several 223's and more 30-06's than Icare to count.

If you want another 223 and you think you would shoot it more because of ammo cost, then I would buy another 223 in a heart beat. Heck I would recommend buying 4 or 5 of them if you want to!! However a different configuration or action type might be fun. And the idea of an AR is also a great idea. Tom.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:43 PM
Typical Buck

I didn't want an AR due to the cost. I was looking to do an even swap out. Or at least very little out of pocket. I was thinking I could just buy another .223 for the cost of the .204.

Quick Reply: Sell , trade , or stupid ????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.