Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Ruger Hawkey vs. Browning Medallion >

Ruger Hawkey vs. Browning Medallion

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ruger Hawkey vs. Browning Medallion

Old 04-30-2009, 04:38 PM
Fork Horn

Default Ruger Hawkey vs. Browning Medallion

Ok. So I've narrowed down my next rifle purchase to either a Ruger Hawkey or a Browning A Bolt Medallion in 7mm Rem Mag.
I like both rifles, but there's about $250 difference in price. The Browning being more expensive of course.
My question is....do YOU folks think the A Bolt is worth the price difference?
I know Browning has a fantastic reputation for accuracy and build quality. Ruger seems to be a tad more "hit and miss" with out of box accuracy. I know you can get a lemon from any company though.
I'm curious if folks who have used both can tell me things that either rifle excel at. Accuracy. Durability. Reliability. Ect....

Just looking for opinions....

P.S. I already have the scope, so no need to tell me to save money on the gun and spend it on glass. Both rifles are within my price range.
Old 04-30-2009, 05:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ruger Hawkey vs. Browning Medallion

The hew Howkeyes have been a lot more consistant with there accuracy. Many shooting MOA out of the box.
Old 04-30-2009, 05:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Actually you might consider the Browning XBolt over the ABolt. It has some added features that make it a better rifle than the ABolt.
Old 04-30-2009, 05:32 PM
Fork Horn

I'm a lefty, so that rules out the x bolt.....

Old 04-30-2009, 05:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

I love both my brownings, one being an Abolt. Well both are great shooters at least, .270win. and .300win mag.

Old 04-30-2009, 07:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: schoolcraft

I'm a lefty, so that rules out the x bolt.....

Oh well.....sorry you are wrong handed!
Old 05-01-2009, 03:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ruger's are well built (tank-like) and perfectly suitable for the intended purpose. The new Hawkeye's are an improvement. A-Bolts may be "better", but that's rather subjective. Each has positives and negatives. In my opinion, I'd take the Ruger over the A-Bolt but take an X-Bolt over either. It basically comes down to fit and feel, likes and dislikes and if you can justify the extra $ for the Browning.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Hawkeye is a great gun and a true savings,
however, I would look at a few of them together, side-by-side, and pick out the one that suits your eye in appearance (color/grain of wood).

I am a Browning fan and own a few. I also own a Ruger 6-shooter and have done much work for Ruger in the past.
The Browning name itself, in my opinion, is a little overpriced in today's market,
as other gun manufacturer's in the recent 5-10 years have stepped up to the plate and are no longer considered below average.

Either one is a great choice, but if you want to put the saved money into something else, like a decent scope, you will probably be a head of the game...
Old 05-01-2009, 03:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

Hey school, I'm lefty too. And I've owned both Rugers and Brownings. And to be honest, both my Ruger 77 and the 2 Brownings needed some gunsmithing to get them to shoot up to their potential. The 77 needed a trigger job and a bedding job. One of the Brownings had to be rebedded and one needed trigger work.
I still have the Brownings but the Ruger went to the gunshop on a trade. (For my second Browning).
Now the newer triggers on the Ruger may solve the trigger issue (the 77s triggers were horribly heavy).
That being said - if your heart is set on either of these 2 models, pick the one that fits you best.

Now if it were my hard earned cash, I would seriously look into the Savage line. I have purchased 5 over the past 2 years and every single one of them can outright shoot. The only complaint I had with them is the el cheapo synthetic stocks which were very flimsy in the forearm tip. But I understand that they have resolved this issue and also came up with a new bedding design that is supposed to increase accuracy even more.
Good luck
Old 05-01-2009, 04:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bronko22000

Now if it were my hard earned cash, I would seriously look into the Savage line. I have purchased 5 over the past 2 years and every single one of them can outright shoot. The only complaint I had with them is the el cheapo synthetic stocks which were very flimsy in the forearm tip. But I understand that they have resolved this issue and also came up with a new bedding design that is supposed to increase accuracy even more.
Good luck
This too would be another good suggestion, right on Bronko!

Quick Reply: Ruger Hawkey vs. Browning Medallion

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.