Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Rebarreling project >

Rebarreling project

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Rebarreling project

Old 04-09-2009, 04:20 AM
Fork Horn

Default Rebarreling project

I have a Browning A-Bolt composite stalker in 25-06Rem. with afactory 22" barrel. I'm thinking about having it rebarreled with a 26" 1 in 9 twist and I'm wondering what all is involved with the process.I've been looking at Shilen Barrels on their website and they have a pre-threaded and chambered option. I'm guessing there will be some stock inletting and bedding that will have to happen, along with the machining. I don't have a lot of experience with gunsmiths, soif anyone knows a good gunsmith for this kind of project let me know. I'm in Central Michigan.

Thanks,

Chris
Old 04-09-2009, 04:48 AM
Fork Horn

Default old

removed by RD

Last edited by Ron Duval; 01-19-2010 at 06:21 AM.
Old 04-09-2009, 04:59 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Rebarreling project

Shilen recommends the 1-9 twist for >100gr. bullets and the lightest bullets I use are 100gr nosler BT's. The gun shoots the best (as it is set up now) with 117gr Hornady SST's. That will probably change with a new barrel, but just looking at Mfg. recommendations.
Old 04-09-2009, 05:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Chances are that if you rebarrel you will probably need to re-bed. Your new barrel will probably not have the same contours as the factory barrel, and you might as well do the action at the same time unless you want to just hog out the barrel channel and do it by itself. Another option would be to have your gunsmith see if it is possible for him to duplicate the factory contour on the new barrel. You may want to check with the barrel supplier and see if this is an option they can offer you. You are most certainly going to need the services of a good gunsmith anyhow, as you will need to have the headspace set correctly, unless you are in a position to do this type of work yourself.
If you belong to or know of someone who is a member of a local shooting club or organization, they should be able to recommend a good 'smith in your area. Shooting supply stores would be another source.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds good. Most pre-chambered barrels have a short chamber so the fitter can ream it closely after fitting it to the action. I suspect the Shilens are made that way. So the project is a little more involved than just screwing the barrel on. Headspace must be set after the barrel is snug on the action.

A 26" barrel would be an improvement for the .25/'06...
Old 04-13-2009, 12:35 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the input, guys. What other "work" would you consider for this gun. It's factory stock except for a replacement trigger spring from Timney. I've heard folks say "square and true" the action, but I'm not 100% sure what that means. Recoil is pretty mild and with a longer, heavier barrel, I expect felt recoil to be less. So I don't think porting will be necessary. Bedding? Again, I know the barrel shouldn't touch the stock, but when you talk glass bedding, pillar bedding etc. I understand the concept but I'm not sure of the specifics.

Thanks,

Chris